spray painting a PSU...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason nightstick made that comment is that power supplies have HUGE capacitors in them than can hold current even without being plugged in. And there is a chance, however small, that it can bite you. PSU's store more than enough power to jumpstart (or stop) your heart. This is the reason they have huge warnings on the side of them that they have "no user serviceable parts" so people dont crack them open and fry themself.

troof! hehe, not to mention the PCB on PSU's is so spiky... pokes you all over when you take it out

I painted my HP one Gloss Red, works fine

next time... don't be lazy and take the PSU out before painting it... jeeze

first of all, he already knew about being cautious with the electronics. secondly. you should not have any issues with the paint causing over heating. as far as I've been able to tell, psu's don't get so hot as to worry about it. consider, you have a metal psu case. several companies make plexiglass psu cases, which do nothing for heat. in then end, yeah, get a better psu for it, seeing as you are wanting to run those cards. good luck!

THANK YOU...i know what im doing, i hade to take the top off and put some tape (good painters tape that doesn't move) on the vents and didn't have a problem.

This isn't the psu in my sig its just a generic one i had sitting in a cupboard.

I couldn't get the metal mesh i wanted so the front isn't going to look as good as i wanted but it still looks great. I have to pick up some more tremclad tomorrow then i can spray paint the rest of the side panel,mesh. and front. Then the day after i can put the window on and put the mesh on.

i wasn't discouraging you, i was just saying don't do it if you don't have a reasonable knowledge of the risks and how to avoid potential electrocution. veedub said it too, there are caps in PSUs that can kill or cause serious injury. it would be irresponsible not to warn against it. i'm not sure of the laws where you are but it may even be illegal to do work like this on a PSU without correct qualification.

like i said, don't let that stop you. just know what you're doing :) although i gather by the fact you're still posting you didn't shock yourself so you have a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom