spray painting a PSU...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke

Golden Master
I'm modding an old case i have and the inside is going to be black, but the psu i have is not black. I was wondering if its ok if i spray paint the PSU black (tremclad). Just the box not the cables and obviously i will over the vents on the psu.

don't see why not...it might be easier to take the case of the PSU, or just make sure to tape up the vents and ports well.

i think it would be ok as long as you tape over the vents or take the body off the actual psu, prolly a bad idea the paint all the electronic parts.

yes obviously im not going to get any paint on the inside components of the psu, im just wondering if there will be a heat issue or anything...im just going to go ahead and do it anyway though. Its just a crappy spare psu i have anyway. This psu isn't very good though and this comp could have a 9600gt in it and this one won't power it so i will just prob get a cheap 500w one thats already black.

The case is looking awesome already, it was one of the old white ones that lie down, so far i have just spray painted it high gloss black but it looks great.
I'm also making a mesh (metal mesh) air vent(that has a 120mm fan on it) at the front of the case but havn't got i cut yet. I'm going to start a new thread for pics and other things though...thanks for the help.

i think it would be ok as long as you tape over the vents or take the body off the actual psu, prolly a bad idea the paint all the electronic parts.

I would be removing the electronic parts from the PSU first before painting it.

what ever, i already did it and it was fine,,,

==there isn't any electricity running threw it so what are you talking about nitestick.

first of all, he already knew about being cautious with the electronics. secondly. you should not have any issues with the paint causing over heating. as far as I've been able to tell, psu's don't get so hot as to worry about it. consider, you have a metal psu case. several companies make plexiglass psu cases, which do nothing for heat. in then end, yeah, get a better psu for it, seeing as you are wanting to run those cards. good luck!

The reason nightstick made that comment is that power supplies have HUGE capacitors in them than can hold current even without being plugged in. And there is a chance, however small, that it can bite you. PSU's store more than enough power to jumpstart (or stop) your heart. This is the reason they have huge warnings on the side of them that they have "no user serviceable parts" so people dont crack them open and fry themself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom