Splicing Fans Together

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhikMan

In Runtime
hey guys, i was planning on putting 2 extractor fans on top of my case, and i was wondering if i could splice the two fans together to run off the one 3 pin motherboard connector.
Will this mess with the current draw and/or the RPM that is sent back to the motherboard?

ya that will should work fine. Just make sure the motherboard plug has enough current to handle 2 fans. Most likely it will be able to.

What size are the fans that you want to run?

I would put it on a molex.

But splicing them together is no big deal, I have like 3 or 4 fans soldered together.

yeah i thought of putting them on a molex, but i wanna be able to control them from the bios so i can say what speed to run at, and also so i can see what speed they are running at. Plus, to put em on the molex, i would need to plug a molex plug into my psu, and that will stuff up my cable management. :p

Motherboards don't generally have a lot of current to offer on fan connectors. And then you are possibly minimizing the power available for other components.

You can get a fan controller to handle speed, or just plug the speed wire into the motherboard but handle power with molex.

Motherboards don't generally have a lot of current to offer on fan connectors. And then you are possibly minimizing the power available for other components.

You can get a fan controller to handle speed, or just plug the speed wire into the motherboard but handle power with molex.

Tis true. I think they should be able handle to fans though. Just my opinion.

Edit: They only run a max of 1200 RPM so it should handle it.

The 120mm in my hand draws .25A. Your mobo should be able to handle .5A, but also have to take into consideration the startup current is usually quite a big higher than it is once it spins up.

You should be fine, but if it were me, I'd do molex. The only wire that needs to be on the mobo for controlling and monitoring is the blue wire.

Its not the rpm of the fan that matters. Its how many amps it draws. It should work plugged into the motherboard. But if you run into a problem, then switch them to a molex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom