Soul Savage Worklog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cunjo

Daemon Poster
This thread will serve as my worklog for the case mode of my new PC, newly christened 'Soul Savage'. Feel free to comment or offer constructive advice. Most of this modding will center around internal display and lighting.

Friday POSTed the Motherboard, revealing the colors I'll be working around:
itsalivexc0.jpg

This evening I got it all into the case and lit up:
inthecaserh9.jpg

Current mods and lighting:

2 120mm Red LED case fans, and one 80mm red LED case fan on top. They're Apevia, and not too powerful, but very quiet.

2 12" red Cold Cathode lights. Right now they're both on the bottom, as I'm still figuring out the best place to mount the second one.

Zalman 9700 LED CPU Cooler with Blue-lit fan.

Black Window Side Panel mod for the CM Stacker

Planned modifications:

I'll soon be adding another 2 120mm red LED fans to the front (tomorrow, when the bay modules arrive), and will experiment with removing the perforated plating from the fronts of the modules for better airflow and more light penetration

I'm still looking for a good supplier of EL Wire kits for custom lighting builds, and welcome any suggestions on the matter. I want to get several lengths of EL wire and run it along with all of my wires in the case.

I plan to get some translucent red wire sleeving and heat-shrink, probably a UV-sensitive kit along these lines: Techflex Wire Sleeving Kit (UV Red)

I'll probably end up throwing in a couple of UV cold cathodes and splicing the power cables of the inverters together so I can operate them all off of one switch on the back.

I'm looking for a good Red LED Northbridge cooling fan.

I need to find a good way to get all of those wires up and out of the way, as there isn't much in the case I can tie them to.

Finally, I may end up painting the metal side of the drive bay stack in Red and Black, or apply some decals there.

At some point I may upgrade to liquid cooling and install the cooling system in the lower PSU bay, sectioned off from the rest of the case with plexiglass.

Current system specs for those interested:
Cooler Master CM Stacker 810
MSI P6N SLI Platinum
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe
2 gigs of G.Skill
8800 GTS
4x 250GB Western Digital Caviar HDDs in RAID 0+1

Update

buildingts1.jpg

The extra drive modules arrived today. I fitted them with fans and reassembled the front of the case. Still waiting on the HDDs so I can take it apart again and re-fit it. Very little light gets into the case from the fans on the front of the modules, and I think the plating probably obstructs airflow as well. I'll probably pull it off of at least one module when I fit the new HDs to see if it gets any better.

Installed Windows XP to test out the drivers and software.

Thanks guys!

ooo, Shiny... thanks for the link, Trotter.

I'm seriously thinking at this point about just swapping out one of the Red Cold Cathode bulbs for a UV one, then putting the UV one on the side and the Red one on the bottom. If I pull out the drive module plating, the fan lights should shine through from the front and light up that side more. I just don't know where I can fit another Cold Cathode tube, especially a 12" one. I may be able to sneak a 6" one up at the top above the drive bays though, and possibly another 6" on the left, below the rear fan and above the lower PSU bay.

Well, with no more modding to do tonight, I started overclocking... I got it up to 3300MHz, but it became unstable at 3350MHz even with another voltage boost, so I have it simmering on Orthos overnight to see if the 3.3GHz OC will stay with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom