Something Scary Is Happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikoman69

Daemon Poster
Heres the low down on it. I was playing UT2k4 and it was running at about 150-300fps, very very smooth. After a while in certain spots it would start almost missing a chunk of frames, it felt different from graphics lag. I immediatly thought that it might just be unstable overclocks. Dropped my card to 600/850 (50 and 50 over stock) and dropped my processor from 2.9 to 2.5. Went back into the game, same thing, same spots in the level aswell. I just got my video card 3 days ago. My specs when this happened are in my sig. Also today, for the first time ever, especially now that im back to stock speeds on everything, my computer completely just froze, all I was doing when it happened this time was opening cpuz.

Im scared somethings messed up, any ideas?

Edit - The card ran ut2k4 without one "frameskip" like this for the first 2 days I had this card well they were at the same clocks. Also another note, cs 1.6 and uneral 99 seem to run, faster, then normal. My character runs faster, mouse moves faster. In some games they are still fine like doom 3 and call of duty 2.

Edit - Just got done trying cs 1.6, after only about a minute on, its froze for a good 15 seconds then returned back to normal.

I think I had similar problems - when your cpu gets hot over a long period of time, it starts to act jittery every once in a while, it eventually went away for me

I suggest maybe replacing the thermal paste or something, and make sure there's good contact..

I am prime95-ing it was we speak, so far its stayed stable with one for each core, and firefox. Temps were reaching only about 45c max when I was gaming, since I think all the games I have dont take advantage of dual core. Im going to download the latest drivers, I got 169.32, which are 8800gs only drivers.

Edit - It prime95s for hours, with no errors, so could it still be my cpu? Or is it possibly my gpu?

Ill try it, But im not 100% sure if its the cpu. Everything is clocked back to stock so heat isnt an issue, and in ut2k4 im still getting the same stuttering, and in call of duty 2, im getting random short freezes. I also cleaned off the the heatsink and cpu and applied some arctic silver 5 today, about the same temps, but once it settles after some cycles of idle and loads, it should cool down a bit more.

Could it possibly be something wrong with the gpu? Since its brand new, could be a defect?

- Got the dual core optimizer, and after I install, i navigate to the folder and try to open it, and it doesnt open. Ill have to try a different site to download from maybe.

I think it wouldn't be the HD , cause in games the files load during loading or maybe that process is screwed by the theory of the HD .....

Just a random thought... have you tried reinstalling the game? Same spot, same skip... could be a missing chunk of code.

Reinstalling is what Im going to try next, just got new 174.74 drivers last night when I was sleeping (Dial Up :p), so Im going to try them and if not ill try reinstalling. Now, Other games are fine again, and my system so far hasnt froze again, it was really weird that it was like that for a day or 2 and now its fine again.

Also, I downloaded the dual core optimizer from the link in the post above, and the amd site, and both times when i install it, I cannot open it once i install it. I click it, the cursor flashes to the loading cursor, then back to normal, and the program doesnt appear in the task manager. Any ideas? I really want to get this to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom