Some questions on liquid cooling - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 12:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Red face Some questions on liquid cooling

yes, i read the sticky, but i was wondering if the liquid cooling minimizes noise, since it still has fans that cool and pump the liquid, and also, where does the pump and radiator and all that stuff go? where do you hook it up in your case?

Old 07-18-2005, 10:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to timmer

well i think the only thing that makes noise is the radiotor the thing that cools the water and u have to see what one u have if u get a nice one itll prolly be quite research the one ur looking at befor u buy it and seee what people say. or post the one u wanna know about here at tf

GeForce Fx 6600GT
Asus P5LD2
HD AUDIO
480W thermaltake
Old 07-19-2005, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

so where do you stick the radiator and pump and stuff in your case? any1 know any good pics?
Old 07-19-2005, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

how do you come up with a question like 'where do you put it'

It's YOUR case dude...you put it where you can fit it into or mod it into. There is no set place for these things.

Go look at 'MasterJasons' thread where he posted his modded case with liquid setup in it
Old 07-19-2005, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Beer

Send a message via AIM to Calzinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Nubius
It's YOUR case dude...you put it where you can fit it into or mod it into. There is no set place for these things.
Very true. Most mid-size case owners will find themselves having to mod their case if they use a reservoir. Then again, if you use a T-line, you will have to mod your case anyway. It's as simple as drilling a hole in the top though, no big deal.

You can completely ditch mapping out your system like me if you have a full-size tower. My case is so big that planning it out would be a gigantic waste of time.

Keep in mind that your case isn't setup FOR a water cooling system. Your mother board is for the water blocks. Your case won't have specific mountings to put your radiator or pump or anything. You simply place it where it sees fit.

If you need a generic setup idea, throw your pump and radiator somewhere at the bottom (below the motherboard if applicable).

As for your noise question, it depends on the size of the radiator/heatercore. Some will require more fans than others. A double 120mm radiator will obviously generate as much noise as two 120mm fans. However, some pumps seem to generate a lot of noise. I heard that the Danger Den D4 pump is insanely loud. The Swiftech MCP650 pump outputs around 34 dBA. I really don't know if that's loud or not; you tell me.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to timmer

yea it goses where it fits but theres no reason to hack at this guy man its an ok question since he doesnt know much bout water cooling
GeForce Fx 6600GT
Asus P5LD2
HD AUDIO
480W thermaltake
Old 07-19-2005, 10:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I heard that the Danger Den D4 pump is insanely loud. The Swiftech MCP650 pump outputs around 34 dBA. I really don't know if that's loud or not; you tell me
I don't hear it over my 2 120mm's that are ontop of my case which are always at about half speed...the D5 is supposed to be quieter though
Old 07-19-2005, 11:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by pc_boy
so where do you stick the radiator and pump and stuff in your case? any1 know any good pics?
They have some water cooling solutions that almost the whole thing is on the outside of the case.

Here is a zalman reserator
EVGA GTX 480
CORSAIR 850-HX
Old 07-20-2005, 12:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Beer

Send a message via AIM to Calzinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Nubius
I don't hear it over my 2 120mm's that are ontop of my case which are always at about half speed...the D5 is supposed to be quieter though
You obviously can't trust reviews from a website vender, but http://www.dangerdenstore.com/produc...&cat=23&page=1 seems to think that that D5 pump is still somewhat loud. Then again, I think it all depends on what we consider as "loud". Anything more quiet than this engine-sounding 6800 GT is a plus for me.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

yeah, which is weird cause I could NEVER hear the fan on my graphics card....my chipset fan on my XP-M was pretty loud because it was a tiny little 8000RPM fan...and yes I meant 8000 there isn't one too many 0's there

Overall my case is a lot quieter than it used to be when it had the tornado in there...the tornado is still loud even at half power muchless when you crank it up full.

I wouldn't doubt if they test the pumps loudness when everything else is absolutely quiet....then it becomes one of those things that stick out and annoy the hell out of you

Closed Thread