first off, my system:
mobo: msi p6n platinum 650i
graphics card: 8800gts 320mb
ram: 2x 1gb g.skill ddr2 800 pc6400
i ended up losing the mounting bracket for my tuniq tower (dont ask) so im stuck using my stock heatsink and stock paste (was too lazy to remove their stuff, plan on picking up an AF7 soon anway).
cpu is at 3.0 ghz at stock voltage - 300 fsb, 10x multiplier (2.0 stock - 200 x 10)
RAM is at 420fsb atm. system wont POST at 430, and when i set it to 425 it shows up as 420 still(via cpu-z). i had to manually set the timings to 4-4-4-12, but when i did so the fifth timing(?) went from 20->21. i also manually set the voltage to 2.0v. specific RAM module can be seen here Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
graphics card is at 655/1055, im pretty sure that's the max - if i raise the memory any higher atitool starts finds errors(instantly, btw), and if i raise the
core clock past 655 i get random lockups, etc.
1) what significance does the sb voltage hold in overclocking?
2) what voltages are safe for nb? (up to what point)
3) is an aftermarket nb fan required? my mobo came with one but i didnt bother mounting it (size issue with the tuniq tower -- now eliminated)
4) how safe is 1.5 vcore? i see that generally reccomended as a max.. but is it safe to run a system (provided you have ample cooling) 24/7 at 1.5vcore? or should i go for a lower oc?
5) why cant i get my RAM over 420 fsb?
6) what other RAM timings should i be taking off of auto, and at what value is a good starting point?
7) is it safe to put my RAM voltage above 2.0v(provided i can raise the fsb above 420)? the reccomended voltage (as per newegg specs) is 1.9v-2.0v
8) does running my cpu fsb and ram fsb at 1:1 give me a performance increase? or just less heat?
9) how does FSB VTT Voltage work? all i can find is increasing it stabilizes your system, but I can't find any negative effects to raising it?
thanks for any/all answers