Soldering won't stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

nothingasis

In Runtime
Okay, I'm not doing the soldering but my brother is... and according to him he says he knows how to solder and he also had his friend try it.

I have a BELKIN F5D7050 and the usb head on the device became lose and eventually snapped off of the board itself. I'm having my brother solder it but he says it won't stick... It keeps coming apart. Any ideas?

Sounds like either poor quality solder (I don't like this ROHS stuff) or just not the best job although it could be that circumstances are making it more difficult (awkward to get at, for example). It's been a long time since I've had to do any soldering though...

What kind of solder is it? Is it silver solder or rosin-core? Is he putting solder on the tip of the iron or gun, dabbing the spot, and then putting more solder on?

Try using silver solder. It has a higher melting point than rosin solder. The rosin solder might be cooling too fast for it to stick.

apply some rosin to the connections.. Try and heat the connections first and then apply the solder.. Just try not to heat them up too much to where it would loosen other components down the line..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom