Software OC'ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dell XPS

In Runtime
As you guys can see, i have a dell and there is no way for OCing through my BIOS. But i have OC'd to 3.4 using CPU COOL. i got too carried away and tried to OC to 3.6 but fried one of my ram sticks while doing so. my question is, how far can i OC safely without frying anything on my rig again?

Well it al depends on your cooling system, if you wanted you could get that to 4.0ghz with the rite cooling. What are your temps?

Yeah, I don't see how you fried your RAM unless a lot of Dimm voltage was pushed through it, or it was just on the verge of crapping out in the first place.

Mind you when you're just raising the FSB in windows you are OC'ing your AGP and PCI bus which can fry your graphics card, PCI devices, hard drives....may be why your RAM fried.

o, so that's why my ram got fried. so i think i shouldn't OC through windows. is there a way to OC through windows with out OC the AGP/ PCI, etc ?

Temps
Idle-38
Load-High 50's

o, so that's why my ram got fried. so i think i shouldn't OC through windows. is there a way to OC through windows with out OC the AGP/ PCI, etc
No...raising the FSB = raising the AGP:pCI unless you can lock it in your BIOS and/or if there happens to be some windows based OC'ing software inwhich it'll lock the AGP:pCI at 66:33Mhz for you.

dude fryed ur ram omg im scared about mine now

Doubt you have anything to worry about. If you weren't able to lock the AGP:pCI you wouldn't be able to hit 260HTT

even then I'm not 100% sure if that was infact the reason his RAM fried...It's not so much because his AGP:pCI was being raised but rather he was OC'ing his RAM, AGP:pCI, all at once when he raised the FSB.

All 3 contributed could have fried it. Everyone who's ever OC'd ram technically pushes it to a point where it doesn't work and gives memory errors, but that doesnt fry it unless perhaps you made one big jump and it didn't like it or something, best I can guess

Nubius said:
No...raising the FSB = raising the AGP:pCI unless you can lock it in your BIOS and/or if there happens to be some windows based OC'ing software inwhich it'll lock the AGP:pCI at 66:33Mhz for you.

Doubt you have anything to worry about. If you weren't able to lock the AGP:pCI you wouldn't be able to hit 260HTT

even then I'm not 100% sure if that was infact the reason his RAM fried...It's not so much because his AGP:pCI was being raised but rather he was OC'ing his RAM, AGP:pCI, all at once when he raised the FSB.

All 3 contributed could have fried it. Everyone who's ever OC'd ram technically pushes it to a point where it doesn't work and gives memory errors, but that doesnt fry it unless perhaps you made one big jump and it didn't like it or something, best I can guess

I think the reason why my ram got fried was that, i was going from 3.2 to 3.6. so i guess thats a big jump. also, do you know of any other OCing software comparable to CPU COOL?

my question is, how far can i OC safely without frying anything on my rig again?
I would say somehwere under 3.6GHz :p
Serriously though, just to reiterate what others have said, look for a program with AGP/PCI locks and also RAM multiplier and timing options. That would give you a better chance of being able to go higher. I don't know of such a program exists though :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom