Software based overclocking - smarter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max2559

Baseband Member
This is just my take on the matter - and im interested in other peoples points of view and if im wrong about anything dont hesitate to explain why - Im always learning!

So We would all like our machines to run as fast as they can... so we overclock.

I would have thought that using a software based overclock (Such as easytuner 5, for the gigabyte boards) is a safer way to take on the overclocking. Reasons for this:

1) - If you push too far, system just shuts down, but as your BIOS settings are still unchanged - you never get the Black screen of Death, and consequently never have to reset CMOS.

2) We all want performance - but you dont need it all the time - just for the demanding tasks.

3) By not running your CPU flat out all the time you inevitably increase the life expectancy of the components.

The modern CPU's are fast enough for general day to day use. . . And i run my 800Mhz Geil ram at 667 24/7... so that when i want to play FEAR or BF2142 i just jack up the CPU (e6600) to 3ghz (9x333), using easy tuner 5 in windows and the RAM is overclocked slightly to 833Mhz - and im off!

Interestingly - If you insist on setting your CPU to run overclocked 24/7 through BIOS its possibly worth using software based overclocking to find the upper limits of the CPU - then drop back into BIOS to set it there.

Your thoughts?

I got the black screen the other week when the back-up bios failed and the board was fully dead! Perhaps that should be called the Black screen of DOOM!

I couldnt agree more! Going slowly and overclocking step by step is crucial... but my point is that this is doable through windows (with the appropriate software)... and it is safer.

The only down side to it is that too many people will not learn about overclocking before attempting it in windows... and in that respect could damage their computers. (eg if they just wack up their CPU frequency withought taking into the effect on the RAM divider and RAM frequency...

But - for someone who is aware of these things, and who is willing to take the time to do it incramentally... it is undoubtedly safer, as there is no possibility of having to reset the BIOS/CMOS - and as an added bonus one doesn't have to reinstall windows ever!

I note the word generally at the start of your coment... an important word on this topic.

PS i realise you have to drop back to bios to change RAM dividers... but that in itself (as long as you are not seriously stupid) has no risk, and does not count as overclocking.

okay.. you guys are all dumb and wrong, software overclocking is done frequently.. when your motherboard won't let you post past a certain point, thats when you pull out the software for overclocking.. but obviously this is mostly used for things like suicide runs and such.. i didnt hit 3.92 from bios ;) ..... i couldnt even dare dream to boot from that high unless i had insane voltage

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I think this question fits in here.

Like on a core 2 duo e6600, would say just upping the FSB be possible without cranking the voltage and stuff?

Could say going from 2.4Ghz to 2.9Ghz be done with just FSB and also be very stable to where you can just leave it there?

Sorry if this question is dumb....I just want to learn to OC alittle and am trying to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom