Software based overclocking - smarter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pepsiboy700 said:
You didnt have to say were all dumb and wrong. We were partly right.

sorry, a bit rash for me to say that i know, i was at work when i typed it.. and just grumpy from being at work..

my apologies

NosBoost300 - How am i wrong:?

I know you use software for going seriously high on the overclock, but my point is... why use the Bios at all?

I mean - as i said - if you are running a half decent computer you dont need the CPU overclocked for general computing... so preserve your components and run them at stock... untill you want to play a game... when you use the software and overclock the CPU a lot (you will know from prior testing where it is stable).
I know you use software for the top end overclock... but just remind me again... how am i wrong? Oh yeah... and what is dumb in overclocking your CPU with software (as long as you do it incramentally with the correct divider settings).
I know you were at work and grumpy... apology accepted.

Max2559 said:
NosBoost300 - How am i wrong:?

I know you use software for going seriously high on the overclock, but my point is... why use the Bios at all?

I mean - as i said - if you are running a half decent computer you dont need the CPU overclocked for general computing... so preserve your components and run them at stock... untill you want to play a game... when you use the software and overclock the CPU a lot (you will know from prior testing where it is stable).
I know you use software for the top end overclock... but just remind me again... how am i wrong? Oh yeah... and what is dumb in overclocking your CPU with software (as long as you do it incramentally with the correct divider settings).
I know you were at work and grumpy... apology accepted.

oh no, your not wrong, i was referring to everyone that was saying windows overclocking was for lazy people.. that was the statement i was calling wrong.

and i'll agree with you, that you can use it only when your know your gonna be doing a difficult/demanding task (such as gaming).

and as for using bios... if you want an overclock that is permanent.. so you don't have to go through the hastle all the time... overclocking through bios is the way to do it. Bio's gets way more specific with tuning compaired to easy tune 5... there i can mess with FSB voltage, take ram voltage higher than easy tune 5, and playing around with ram timings as well... there's just way more to work with in bios

You would have to agree people that JUST software overclock with ntune and/or clockgen are lazy and dont want to take the time to tweak ram timings, dividers, voltages, multipliers, and the FSB. Thats what I ment. I mean at some point your probably going to have to use the bios to REALLY overclock like I had to. For example, with clockgen I could only get the cpu to 2.6 ghz because I couldnt adjust my ram timings or speeds. In ntune, it had the ability to change the ram timings but nothing else and yet, it still only got 2.6 ghz. After spending 30 minutes tweakin the bios and 8 hours of prime stable I got 3ghz. NOW, I did use clockgen yesterday though to find out I can get another 150mhz out of my cpu before its un stable. It was alot easier to do that than to go to bios and try every single fsb till it wouldnt boot to windows and/or post. That very much proves what you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom