Slow Raptors in RAID0 - Needing Help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2006, 02:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question Slow Raptors in RAID0 - Needing Help

Hello, I just joined here, obviously needing some help.

The system I'm currently using is about 2 years old or so. At the time I first built it, it was a huge upgrade, etc. etc. and the difference in performance was obvious. For the most part, it's always done what I wanted pretty quickly; however, as I've gotten more serious into recording/mixing audio, the burden of using multiple plugins (30+/session) becomes taxing on a system - this number has increased with time and I've reached a ceiling. So... I've started browsing Newegg at what component prices are currently, etc. While I was browsing, I began to read some of the reviews of my HDD - the 36gb Raptors. People were talking about the Sandra scores while running this solo and in RAID0. Being that I typically don't care for benchmark numbers, only real-world performance, I'd never checked mine before. But, with my current situation, I did...

People were claiming 85-90mb/sec in RAID0 with the dual 36gb Raptors. Me? 51!? WTF? (Sandra 2005) And that they're installing XP in like 8 minutes (~30-40 for me. sigh), booting in seconds (takes 3-4 passes of the XP bar minimum for me). To add, most of the install and boot people were using AMD (and newer CPUs in general), so I'd imagine that's a big factor there.

My specs (no OC'ing):
P4 3.0E HT (800FSB)
OCZ 512x2 2-3-2-5
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
(2) 36gb Raptors in RAID0 - through ICH5-R chip (128kb Strip)
(1) 250gb WD 7200 - Promise controller
(2) 60gb WD 7200 - IDE connections
XP - SP2

So... what's causing this, and how do I change it? I've heard dropping the strip size will improve benchmarks, but hurt real-world performance (especially with larger files, as with audio editing). Oh yeah, I've got that "Intel Application Accelerator RAID edition" program installed that came with the mobo - not sure if it actually does anything function-wise. Needless to say, I'm kinda bummed and, well, ****ed. I appreciate any help one can shed on this. Thanks.

Old 01-25-2006, 02:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Okay, I feel like an idiot now (maybe). I just noticed the "bypass Windows file cache" option in Sandra. With that enabled, I got 87MB/sec. I'm assuming this is what people were referring to? I apologize for the long-winded message above if I just answered my own question.
Closed Thread