SLI questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

horndude

Fully Optimized
Just got an ASUS A8N32-SLI mobo, but only got one PCI-E video card for now, my question is, do they have to be identical pairs for SLI to work right?

Also, just how much extra performance can I expect with the extra card, Ive scanned some benchmarks and it seems like most of the time unless you were seriously graphic bottlenecked to begin with 25-35% isnt too far out of the question and about average, which I can live with, going from 60fps to 80fps would be worth it in some cases.

Lastly, suppose an overclock of say 25% vs runing a second graphics card in SLI, which seems to be the better bargain performance wise, do they even come close? Overclocking is virtually free, save maybe some longevity issues, but if your not graphics bottlenecked and that overclock does help, how much extra is that gonna help?

SLI really shines in high resolutions with AA and AF.

I wouldn't go SLI until it is absolutley nescasarry.

What are your specs?

If I were I'd stick to one card for now.

Also for SLI You must have the same card.

Yes you can mix brands. But for example you cannot mix an 7900GT with an 7900GTX.

Well AA/AF and anything over 1024x768 was killing me with the old rig, dunno what this new one will do yet.

spec wise, so far just that board, a athlon 64 san diego core, and an evga geforce 6800XT PCI-E I got for free

just trying to get a handle on where to go next with this thing, the 4 sata 250GB seagate drives I ordered will arrive next week, and a new case for it maybe too

still need to order some RAM, havent done that, the generic stick I stuck in it allowed it to post so I know it works

since you got the first card for free. i guess its ok to get a second one for an sli setup.

SLI is pretty much a waste unless you're running high resolution monitors with a lot of filtering.

You may not be able to get a 25% overclock even with aftermarket cooling. Even if you do reach that high of an overclock, you most likely won't see a performance increase at the same level as the overclock.

If you want more performance and have enouph money to purchase another card, sell your current card and pick up a better one such as a 7900GS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom