SLI Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlesviper

Solid State Member
One of my rigs has a 7950GT that is only getting around 30FPS on TF2.

I'd like to know if I should get another 7950GT and SLI it or if I should just get a better video card?

I'm really asking a lot of questions around here, so here goes another.

I'd have to get a new motherboard if the SLI option is better than getting just one powerful video card. I've got a RAID 0 setup with three SATA hard drives in my current computer, one of them is a simple 50GB SATA drive with my Windows XP and Office installs. I've got another 250GB with my music / games, and one more 250GB with movies. Could I install these three SATA drives on the new motherboard, and have the system identical to the way it is now? Like, will all my files, icons, desktop, etc be in the same place?

8800GTS would be either slightly better or on par with 2 7950GT's. I suggest get a 8800GTS or a 2900 PRO as they will give the SLI performance of 2 7950's and DX10 support. Make sure u got a decent PSU as well for these videocards.

Alright, thanks. I was thinking of the 8800 for the DX10 support, so I'm glad I got a second opinion.

How about the hard drive question? Will the preferences, etc still be the same? Will I need a new copy of Windows?

My guess, is that you have to save the settings of your OS. And then you have to reinstall a fresh copy of Windows, when you install the new motherboard.

But you wouldn't have to get a new motherboard, if you're not going SLI, and just getting one powerful graphic card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom