Slaymate's Saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mnpctech

Daemon Poster
I'm performing some mods to this Lian Li A70 case for my friend Dan aka Slaymate.. I asked him to join this thread and post his hardware. My prime directive is improving airflow in the Lian Li A70. Add some utilitarian amenities Dan requested like handles, castors. Then powdercoat the panels Gloss Black and airbrush a mural over the right side and bezel.

lainliA70casemod.buffy9h.jpg

The first thing to be replaced was the A70's factory perforated front grill with Honeycomb Modders Mesh, with 1/4" hexagon holes with 9/32" staggered centers.

The A70's restrictive front grill, BEFORE
lainliA70casemod.buffy2.jpg

lainliA70casemod.buffy4.jpg

Honeycomb Modders Mesh
lainliA70casemod.buffy5.jpg

Determining best location for the quad 120 fan / window, I will be offering these windows soon. They're cnc milled from 1/4" thick acrylic, measure 11" x 13.5" with beveled edges and countersunk for 8/32 socket head screws.

I've got a card bracket I need to clear, so placement is crucial

lainliA70casemod.buffy6.jpg

Outlining location before cutting access panel
lainliA70casemod.buffy7.jpg

After the panel has been cut for acrylic window
lainliA70casemod.buffy9d.jpg

Dan will be using Mnpctech pro line's "Grooved Case Handles" are CNC milled from blocks of 3/4" thick solid aluminum.

These handles were special ordered with my last production run of anodized Black case feet. Dan's handles have been clearcoated.
lainliA70casemod.buffy9e.jpg

Dan wanted castors. I'm installing these Black castors with slick brake tabs.
lainliA70casemod.buffy9f.jpg

Marking off handle mounting points with measuring square and 2x 120mm blow fan locations in the A70's top panel

lainliA70casemod.buffy9.jpg

lainliA70casemod.buffy9b.jpg

using drill press with 4.5" hole saw attachment
lainliA70casemod.buffy9a.jpg

Roper whitney hand punch for fan screw mounting holes
lainliA70casemod.buffy9c.jpg

lainliA70casemod.buffy9g.jpg

Gorgeous. By the way, do you reinforce the handles at all? I would think that a strip of sheet metal would help spread the weight out instead of keeping the pressure just on the screw holes you've made

I wish I had a drill press like that.. T'would make my fan wholes SO much easier to make rather than trying to use a jigsaw to cut them... lol.

I think you should use some more industrial casters.

I'm also not a huge fan of covering up brushed aluminum...

But that's just me. I assume Slaymate knows what he wants.

Hello Tech-Forum, I'm Slaymate aka Dan. I'll be posting some pictures of the hardware that will be installed in this case. Do you want to see it now or wait until Bill is finished?

Here is a list of the Hardware.

Intel Core i7 920
Cooler Master V10
EVGA X58 SLI
(3) x 2GB Corsair PC3 12800
(2) x GTX280 (EVGA & BFG)
SilenX IXG-80HA2 gpu heatsinks
Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA (Vista 64)
Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA (Windows 7)
WD 80 GB SATA (WinXP Pro 64)
WD 80 GB SATA (Data Storage)
Asus Blu-Ray/DVD SATA (black)
Samsung 22X DVD/DVD Burner SATA (black)
Cooler Master 1250 watt Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom