Should I overclock on not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alive.777

In Runtime
Hello there,
I have bit of a VERY frustrating problem. I think my CPU (intel Core i7 930) is running a bit to hot on stock for me to OC. I have the Zalman cnps10 extreme cooler and it was said in a british gaming magaziene, to be able to keep an overclocked i7 cool. they did a bench test with a whole heep of coolers including the coolermaster v8, Titan Fenrir, Noctua NH-U12P, Xigmatic Thor's Hammer and a few more. The Zalman beat them all.

At stock, my core i7 runs on idle at: Core 0 - 43 degrees celcius
Core 1 - 39
Core 2 - 42
Core 3 - 4
And under load using prime 95: Core 0 - 73 degrees celcius
Core 1 - 71
Core 2 - 69
Core 3 - 72

In the mag i read, the load temp for my cooler on an overclocked i7 was 66 degrees celcius. i have reseated and re applied the thermal paste (arctic silver 5) atleast 7 times now. I have tried most methods of doing it. I do believe the problem is that there is not enough contact between the cpu and the cooler plate. when i run prime 95, the temps shoot up so fast its not funny. they also come down just as quick. also, i cant feel any heat being blowen out of the heat sink even when the fan is on full bore. its just room temp air. This must mean that the heat is not transfering into the heat fins.

I want to overclock this CPU from its stock 2.8 ghz to maybe 3.8 or 3.9 ghz. What can i do to achieve this without burning out my CPU due to heat issues?

The Zalman Cooler and Arctic Silver are both junk.

Magazine reviews should be read knowing that magazines get advertising payments from the same companies that supply the review samples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom