should i oc more, or swap cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
k i got a 366 celeron that stock temp was around 28 - 34 c, and i hear they can go to 40c, so i overclocked it, upped the fsb, upped the clock cycles, and the pc sped way up(from 366 to 458) and the temp dropped!!! now it idle at 25c, and load at 29!!!!(on stock cooling) but i still need more power, now the cpu is maxxed(for that model) but the mobo was dezigned for a p2/3, and i just so happen to have a 1.0ghz p3 thats getting tossed thru a drawer(in a lil bit of bubble wrap, from a fried pc, still good) well neways that cpu runs at 100-133 mhz fsb, i can get my mobo up to around 90mhz fsb, and the mobo is a jumperless, but ive heard that i could fry something, but not sure, so if i were to put this p3 in here, what would it do? what would/could fry? cooling aint a prob, its a realy cool case...both the processors are PGA370 type socket, and it fits, but i dont wanna turn it on, afraid i might blow the mobo, i could care less about the cpu, i dont have nething to use it in but this, and if it works, then im all for it, cause i need WAY more power for photoshop/word/internet, caue this 458 is even too slow for the net!! it lags!!! Thanks in advance ^_^

EDIT: the p3 im talking about says on top:

INTEL '01 PHILIPPINES
1000/256/133/1.75v

**********(serial number)
Pentium III SL52R

got a few pics of it

serial.jpg

conn.jpg

bottom.jpg

i would say dont upgrade cpu, just stick with that until you build the new machine in your sig.

Upping the FSB won't fry the motherboard, but adding voltage can.

That 1GHz pentium 3 will be a huge gain from that Celeron 333. Get it if it's a deal. If you're paying regular prices for it, just wait 'til you get your new rig.

EDIT: Oh, man, I forgot. Those Celeron's are supposed to be huge overclockers. I've heard of instances of people getting up to 600 and even 700MHz. Depends on the motherboard too, though, I guess.

i already got the p3, it was in a hp, and the ps fried the mobo, i tried it in a freidns pc and oced it to 1.3, so its a good cpu, yea and i kno celes r great ocers, only prob is i updated my bios so i could have more ram and hdd's and i lost voltage control. also have you ever used memtest? how long it sposed to take?

hah, teached you a lesson doesn't it, i've got an old PII (300MHZ) sitting on my other desk running right now with win2000, havn't figured out overclocking though (it uses jumpers,but i did figure out the CPU is actually a downclocked 450 >:) )

bmxfreakrider said:
****!!!! THE MOBO FRIED..... the sys powers up, the hdd light turns on, but the power light dont come on...crap...put orig processor in, same prob, im gonna leave it unplugged and see what it does....CRAP

You sure about that? Were you f'ing with voltage controls or something? Maybe you just need to reset CMOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom