Servo's to operate when Proccesser is under load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnewt427

Baseband Member
How am I able to run a SERVO, the ones found in many radio control airplanes today, buy the processer speed of a computer, I know that the task manager on any computer shows a graph that display processer load, I just want to know if there is a program to make a servo work buy what the computers processer is doing, like say sending power to the servo to open something when the processer is under load, and closed when it is idle. I do not know how hard something like this is to do, any input would be greatly appreciated, at least send me in the right direction.

Well I don't know enough about electrically modding a computer to do something like that.....but I really doubt you could do something like that.

You'd have to find out how the task manager knows when the CPU is under load....which is more than likely just pure programming not like a probe like temp monitoring.

Basically you'd have to find a spot on the board where the voltage noticable increases when the CPU is on full load....it'd have to be a MOSFET chip or PLL chip somewhere more than likely and of course you'd need a multimeter to test it out..

But yeah I have no idea how you'd go about doing that.

I once thought about hooking a Tachometer to my computer so the 'RPMs' would raise when the CPU was under load :p

At the time I thought the tachometer read how many volts were produced by the car battery and by that determined how fast your motor was running...with that in mind my idea is basically the same as yours in that you need an electrical place on the board that rises in electricity under CPU load.....

I never really looked into it but I found out Tachometers don't work like that, so that plan wouldn't work anyway....but still I couldn't find a way of recording the electrical current based on CPU load.

I once thought about hooking a Tachometer to my computer so the 'RPMs' would raise when the CPU was under load :p

At the time I thought the tachometer read how many volts were produced by the car battery and by that determined how fast your motor was running...with that in mind my idea is basically the same as yours in that you need an electrical place on the board that rises in electricity under CPU load.....

I never really looked into it but I found out Tachometers don't work like that, so that plan wouldn't work anyway....but still I couldn't find a way of recording the electrical current based on CPU load. [/B]

I know that a tach from a car, actually is run by electrical impulses, I have seen this done before about the tach's on computers, and I do believe that they sell these Tach's as a computer Mod now- go here http://www.xoxide.com/pctacsof.html

I did see a full write up in the Magazine PC Modder, on a whole dashboard from a Honda civic outfitted to a computer case. This did involve a written program that used a serial port to send information, i.e (electrical signals, from the computer to the dash cluster to make the gauges work, really neat stuff.

I guess I am in Uncharted waters on the servo, thanks for the input.

Jono199 where you at?
he's our local robotics guru.
edit... not to put you on the spot my friend, but i would like to know this as well

The way I see it there are 2 ways you could do this.

1)Find the relevent voltage point on the motherboard that applies and have an inpulse reciever on it, convert the electrical signals into motion via a set of motors etc etc. Not too acurate, jumpy, crappy, bad.

2)Look at the graphs shown by the task manager and apply a software algorithm that through a servo mechanism produce movement based on the grpah output, this way would be more accurate but it would also allow you to amplify the signal via analogue means to whatever scale you wanted.

Or actually heres an interesting idea whack on a monitor for the CPU voltages and convert them using a logic circuit to read points of voltage on a time pulse, then this can be used to store the numbers in some sort of simple logical memory (not a flash drive or anything like that, just logical memory). With this method you could apply a circuit for a servo to do whatever you wanted and also apply as many other outputs as you wanted.

I have assumed that you want the servo to move in accordance with CPU usage and produce a graph or something kind of like a sizemomiter. What exactley is it you want the servomechanism to do? Then i can refine these ideas down.

Roshi don't worry about putting me on the spot either.

lol,

i only have one problem with this, without amplifying my signal a bit, my cpu usage stays below 5-8% most of the time... unless it's like last night, creating an 8Gig .rar file... when it was at about 40-58%... that's not often enough, even with 10-12 audio apps running (for music production, something i know nothing about) i still only get maybe 10-15%... so basically, without a multiplyer i would never get anything to move, i could build a stick man out of servos and he would just twitch...

also, i'm no good at writing algorithms.... guess this isn't a project for me...

edit :::::::wonders if that xoxide software could be applied?::::: guess we'd have to know more about the software. but if it's talking about a serial input/output for making motion on the tach... that would be an electrical impulse, thus could it be used for a servo?

It very much depends on what you really want to do.

Different things different approaches etc etc.

what about a jack in the box? have the servos turn the crank... and if the pc is really working out comes Jack...
ok, no.
but maybe opening an extra blowhole, or just a vent.

You could do something like that just using some simple stuff, like a temp sensor, logic crossover point and a motor.

jono199 said:

I have assumed that you want the servo to move in accordance with CPU usage and produce a graph or something kind of like a sizemomiter. What exactley is it you want the servomechanism to do? Then i can refine these ideas down.

Roshi don't worry about putting me on the spot either.

Ok here is the deal, I wanted to make some sort of inlet for incoming air into my PC that was regulated by the use of a Butterfly, Basic Idea of how a carburetor works i.e. "Inlet whole with a rotating butterfly in the middle to allow more airflow". I would install this in front of a couple of fans. The fans would run constant, but the butterfly in front would regulate the amount of airflow.
My method to the madness of all this, is trying to calm down the noise of 6 fans going all the time in my case. I don't mind like one or two working thatÂ’s not that loud. If I could make this work, I would be both regulating both airflow and sound, with the butterfly's mounted in front of the fans and the computer sitting at idle with them closed or probably more like 5% open, it should be allot quieter then if they where just full blown open. And of course with the CPU under loads they would open up to allow more air, I know this would allow the sound to come through, but at least this way your not listening to a constant whine all the time.
Plus I think it would sound like a real car engine, probably will sound like it has a turbo on it, :) kind of like revving up during CPU loads. The sound should get louder as they open. My real dream is to mount them up front underneath all of the drives, and make it look like one of those B&M Supercharges sticking out of the hood of a car at the dragstrips, you know the ones with the 3 red butterfly inlets. :D :D :D .

I also plan this for another post, but after this is working I planned on working on a RAM AIR system for my CPU heatsink utilizing what I projected above, This RAM AIR would involve a makeshift tunnel to funnel the air passing over and through the CPU heatsink. But the real kick I want to try during overclocking is a CO2 injection system to cool the processor heatsink with bursts of Co-2 gas. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom