seeking best AGP vid card but DVI problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razor683nc

Solid State Member
Ok basically I just built a pretty low cost computer with what seems to be quite a big upgrade for me, and a pretty good gaming computer, but I need to upgrade my video card because I want to play Battlefield 2 really smooth all of the time and that isnt possible with my current GeForce FX 5200 card.

So I had been thinking.. maybe I should look into upgrading my video card and when I started researching I have noticed things changed really fast since last time I shopped a video card. Now things are going all DVI and all PCI Express and I dont have either connection. Now what I want to get is the best video card for an 8x AGP slot and I was thinking about the GeForce 6600 GT 128 MB. I saw though that there is one GeForce 6600 GT card with 256 MB.... BUT it has dual DVI ports, not a single VGA... Can I buy that card and get an adapter for my VGA monitor or do I have to settle for the 128MB 6600 GT card?

Thanks for the help, not sure about too much DVI and PCI Express slots yet, so I need to get back into researching to keep myself caught up with the computer gaming of tomorrow.

Depending on your price range, I would go with a 6600GT->6800->6800GT

All available in AGP, and there shouldn't be any problem finding them with VGA ports.

Most DVI cards come with DVI>VGA connecters. If they dont u can buy one for a few bucks

ok first of all the 6600gt and 6800 are nothing close to being the best agp card lol.

THE BEST AGP CARD IS THE(ATI RADEON X850XT PE)

and if you want to run bf2 really good. just face it and buy 2gigs of dual channel memory. because that is really what u need. and if u want the best agp card buy the x850xt pe it does have dvi support and it has analog suport to.

but if you want to save money and run bf2 at all high settings 1024/768 4xaa i would go for a 256mb 6600gt with 2gbs dual channel system memory. but dont get 128mb 6600gt, becasue it sucks when you render something really demanding and you run out of video memory lol.

Actually yea, I just saw that I was far far off the truth when I said I wanted the best card for AGP and referred to the 6600 GT.. my fault. that seemed like the best AGP card I could find from nVidia though, I couldnt find a 6800 with AGP and I believe all of the 7 series also runs PCI-E now as well.

Anyhow thanks for showing me the ATI Radeon x850XT PE. I think I will probably save up some more cash and buy it. Only other thing to do to my set up later would be swapping out my 2.93 celeron D for a HT 3.4 GHz CPU later, much later probably.

Also what manufacturer would you recommend I buy? ASUS, ATI, etc, etc. Should I just look for the one with the highest ratio? core clock/memory clock?

Again thanks!

The 6800GS will be coming out for AGP fairly soon, with this and the processor look into upgrading your PSU as well.

When the it comes out get the eVGA 6800GS, and a new PSU, because chances your old one wont run this card or the x850xt.

Also the 6800GS can OC beyond the GT speeds and if your lucky and have good cooling even up to a 6800 Ultra Speeds.

MY card is AGP8X and has one DVI and one VGA, 256 mb GDDR3 memory... best card in the 6600 series i think! i run bf2 and NFS MW on highest without any problems at all! and easly overclocked!!!

why are they still making 6800 cards when they are on the 7 series now? didnt think they would go back and remake old series cards like that... but i may be wrong.

The 6800gt is awesome I hear from reviews and benchmarks, and u can OC it to ultra speeds and in some cases even higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom