sata better for windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

an51r

In Runtime
Another question from my never ending pursuit of a better running pc. I have two 160gb seagates running now one a slave and one the master.Now i just got a WD 80gb sata drive could i expect a performance increase if i ran windows on the sata drive and slaved both ide drives. If i did run windows on the sata would that be the proper thing to do with my ide drives, slave them? thank you for the help........

yeah yo ushould definately run windows from your sata drive. The way i would think it would work out best, would be to stick the SATA in the SATA slot, and set it to master. Then stick both IDE drives on one ribbon, and stick that into your first IDE slot. Then set one of them to slave and one to master.

oh ok thats what i was confused about is the slave and master setup of the two ide drives.thanks

You can't set SATA to slave or master... One drive per cable, and it is allways master. Just set your boot priority to start from CD to Sata and have your old drives set as Master/Slave like normal but erase the old windows install first...

how do i erase the old windows install when every time i boot it boots from that drive??

Set the boot order in your BIOS to boot from your optical drive, and then you can re-partition your IDE drives, and install Windows on your SATA drive.

set your cd/dvd drive as the first boot device, then set the sata drive as the second boot drive...take the master ide off the list. Then install windows on your sata drive, then format the master ide drive. You could format the master ide before but just incase you need to boot into windows before you install on the sata, you still have it (just make sure to set if back to the first boot device if you do).

Also you will lose your data on the master ide drive when you format it, so put everything you want to keep on the slave ide or burn some dvds if you don't have enough room on the slave ide.

no no here is where i am at i ghosted my c drive to the sata. i channged the boot priority to boot from my sata drive. everything is alright except for the fact that windows wont let me reformat the c drive it says items are in use or it says that i cant delete cuase of the page file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom