Sandy Bridge K series Overclocking Experiences - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Default Sandy Bridge K series Overclocking Experiences

Well after picking up a 2500K to go with my DP67BG board from Intel, I have to say, overclocking this thing feels like I'm cheating.

Because the cpu does not allow for nearly any changes to the bus speeds you're left with cranking the multi. So, after spending about 5 minutes constantly raising mine, I've gotten it to run at 4.4ghz in turbo mode. Resulting in a SuperPi time of 9.017 seconds.

Does anyone know how to prevent the processor from clocking down when it is idle? I feel like I could improve the time a bit if there was no delay in jumping from 1.6ghz at idle to 4.4ghz at load.

Feel free to share your experiences with these chips and any thoughts you might have about them.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 01-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Sandy Bridge K series Overclocking Experiences

Turn C states off and power/thermal protection. Also, everyone was warned about the locked bus so really nothing to complain about. I've been clocking FSB style since 486 (mmm jumpers....**** that) and I'll be glad when I can go back to multi tuning. Toying with the 940, 720, and 955BE where nice in the short while it lasted for me.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Turn C states off and power/thermal protection.
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Also, everyone was warned about the locked bus so really nothing to complain about.
Not really complaining about it, just saying it took a fair bit out of the fun of overclocking...

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

c-state/google.com....clicky =)

Well overclocking FSB for years took the fun out of it. So going a full gen without needing to worry about it will be a nice little sammich break for me. ;D

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Well I turned C-state off and it's still doing it. Where are those power/thermal protection settings found?

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Intel Speedstep or it might be called EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology).

From some of the reviews I've read, some companies aren't making these options adjustable as they don't effect the system like they use to (or so it is claimed). I'm not going to rush into the SandyBridge like I did with the 920, I'm waiting a few weeks/months until the really good stuff starts coming out.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymate View Post
Intel Speedstep or it might be called EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology).

From some of the reviews I've read, some companies aren't making these options adjustable as they don't effect the system like they use to (or so it is claimed). I'm not going to rush into the SandyBridge like I did with the 920, I'm waiting a few weeks/months until the really good stuff starts coming out.
Well I found out how to turn off speedstep, but I guess doing so turns off the speed boost and for whatever reason I can't raise the non turbo multi despite this being a K chip... Gotta love Intel motherboards...

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

mm yea Intel boards are a doozy.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via MSN to synergy Send a message via Yahoo to synergy

Are you on liquid cooling or just air?

HTPC: AMD FX-4100 3.6 GHz | Gigabyte GA-880GM mATX w/ ATI Radeon HD 4250 | 8 GB G.Skill RipjawX DDR3 1600
LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD ROM + DVD RW | 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD | WD Caviar 1 TB | Antec Veris Fusion Black HTPC Case
Logitech diNovo Edge KB | Win7 Pro 64-bit
3dMark06 23,159 | 3dMark Vantage 23,579 | TF2 Stats Page | BC2 Stats | BF3 Stats
MCSE (SharePoint 2013), MCITP & MCTS (SharePoint 2010), CIW
Old 01-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post
Are you on liquid cooling or just air?
Air cooling for the time being. My computer is flying up with me to February's PDXLAN up in Portland and I didn't think the TSA would approve of complete computer, so I'm checking an empty case and carrying all the other components onboard with me.

Thanks!

Closed Thread