Is it safe to overclock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin2041

Baseband Member
I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 @ stock voltage (I believe) and stock clock/FSB. Basically, just nothing changed. I do sometimes experience random computer crashes that I believe may be influenced by my CPU when under load and when it's hot in the room o_O. I think maybe there might be some issue with my CPU or HDD possibly but I was wondering if it was safe to OC with these specs:

Voltage: 1.328 V

Default Clock: 2.133 Ghz L1 Data: 2x32 KBytes
Multiplier: 8.0x L1 Inst.: 2x32 KBytes
Bus Speed: 266.6666.... Level 2: 4096 KB
Rated FSB: 1066.6666....

Motherboard: Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9

RAM:

Type: DDR2
Channel #: Dual
Size: 2048 Mbytes

Freq. : 400.00 Mhz
FSB:DRAM: 2:3
CAS# Latency (tCL): 4.0 Clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD): 4 Clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRD): 4 Clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS): 12 Clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC): 6 Clocks
Command Rate (CR): 2T

I believe these are the most important specs. Sorry for not having a screenschot :eek: .

Anyways, Thanks in advance,
Kevin2041

EDIT: Btw, what is a average-good CPU temp? My CPU is usually around 47-53 (idle-stressed) centigrade. Is that too hot? and does overclocking your CPU mean you need to OC your memory too? i read some article that you need too

Yeah its safe to overclock. You just have to be careful, and stress the CPU/RAM, and monitor the temps to make sure they don't go too high. And don't exceed 1.5 on the voltage for the CPU

EDIT: Btw, what is a average-good CPU temp? My CPU is usually around 47-53 (idle-stressed) centigrade. Is that too hot? and does overclocking your CPU mean you need to OC your memory too? i read some article that you need too

Do you have stock cooling, if so, look into an aftermarket cooler. Arctic Cooling provides some good budget ones, but if you want to spend some good money than look into the thermalright ultra 120.

In general, 20-40C is good for idling temperatures. And for load, it is preferred that you stay below 60C.

Don't get too worried if it goes over 60C though, that's just kind of a guideline that everyone tries to adhere by and if you keep it below that, it helps to keep everything a little cooler. Every once in a while my E6600 will go a few degress about 60 when stressing. That processor should be able to handle up to about 85C before it starts to get damaged. My laptop used to run at like 75C, and it ran like that for months because I got sick of cleaning it out. I finally cleaned it out last night though...it's been sitting on the floor since I built this computer I'm on like 2 months ago. It runs at 37C now. Anyways if it starts pushing 70, I would definitely stop then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom