Is it safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diabloII

Fully Optimized
how safe is it to bump up the vdimm from 2.7 to 2.9?

what is the max voltage i can bump my winchester to (i think stock is 1.4v) without having to worry about anything?

Winchester- depends on cooling. If stock, probably .2-.3 above, asuming you have good case ventalation.

vDIMMs depend on what kind of ram you have. Should probabl;y only do it with very good memory, such as Corsair Xtreme ram.

lol..i got the geil value series ram @ the crappiest stock speeds ever (2.5-4-4-7)

With good aftermarket cooling the Winchester core will be able to handle 1.9 vcore, although it'd be getting pretty toasty at that point.

DIMM voltage can easily hit 2.9v no problems as mentioned, one of the common problems with motherboards is actually the limit the DIMM voltage can be pumped up. Many people need 3+ DIMM voltage. ;)

how safe is it to bump up the vdimm from 2.7 to 2.9?
Completely safe.

People who need +3 dimm voltage are only those with BH-5 chips for the most part. That $108 gig kit of TwinMOS is 'valueRAM' but it can hit some nice OC's with like 3.2v and higher....but if you're using TCCD's you really don't need higher voltages, although I have seen some people get really tight timings with higher voltage on the TCCDs.

That geil ram is horrible, I can't believe those insanely loose timings, you MIGHT be able to tighten them up if you boost it up to 2.9 dimm but that's not guarantee ;)

Winchester as been said can take a fair amount of voltage but you really need to keep it cool. I don't think I've seen too many people putting 1.9v through them though because generally they reach their limit long before you even get up to that high of voltage

could it be possible to screw up my comp if i bump vdimm from 2.7 to 2.9 and tighten timings to 2.5-3-3-8?

no, it just wouldn't boot or if it boots then in memtest86+ it'll give you errors in which you simply put it back to normal.

However I have had some kingstom valueRAM that when i tried OC'ing it, it basically died on me.....gave 100,000 errors within a minute in memtest lol

so if it's REALLY cheap RAM, then I don't know if it's even worth it.

BTW your sig says BIO, forgot the S :p

haha, thx

oh, and i don't think it's worth it (btw, i paid $125 for these at frys)

god am i dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom