Review my OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffmedic12

Baseband Member
This is my first time to OC. I've done alot of reading on this forum and some others. See my sig for my stock specs. Right now I have stock cooling also, but I'm waiting for UPS to arrive with a Zalman CNPS9500 and AS5.

Current OC is: 2.4 now at 3.01
Mem freq is at 250 (500) PC4000 timings set to 3-3-3-8
Bus is at 1002.3
FSB is at 250.6
My multiplier is x12
Voltage is at 1.552v
Temps with stock cooling idle CPU 32c, Board 32c under load CPU 55-60c, board 34-35c.

I have three case fans, one intake, two removal.

Question is (are) I've run the program S&M to load the system, I get everything to pass except the memory testing. That fails on the second test. I have my dimm voltage set to 2.7v. Theres really know explanation on the failure. I set up S&M to load everything 75% with 100% cpu usage. Thats all fine, except for the memory testing. I'm currently running Prime 95 for about 2.5 hours now w/o any problems. What should I do about the memory? Use memtest86? I was hoping to drop some of the timings a little. Not sure if the S&M program is a good tester or not. Any thoughts on what to do next?

Thanks Tim.

If the manufacturer specifies it can run DDR500 3-3-3-8 2.7vdimm and it's not running at those specifications, send it back to manufacturer as there's no excuse why it shouldn't

That said, you may want to try upping vdimm to 2.8 and more importantly and what I think your issue is here, you want to increase your northbridge voltage

You can try another test, but I would have to bet that if your getting mem errors, its not stable.

You have three choices to try to get the mem stable.

1. Use a divider lowering the speeds

2. Add voltage

3. Loosen timings

Your prob just going to have to play with it to see what ends up working the best.

BTW, do you know what chips that RAM uses? That would make a difference as to what vdimm would be appropriate.

I can't get any really specific info on my memory. Best I can get is that Corsair listed timings to be at 2-3-3-6, but in my bios SPD set them up as 3-3-3-8. Not sure what the voltage is to be. PC Wizard shows 2.5v and I gather it is pulling that info from the chip. As far as what chip is used the best I can find is Promos -5 Rev A. In my bios I have only two options for vdimm, 2.6 and 2.7.

Well not many replies to my post, so I'll just post my final results. Not sure if this is a good OC or not.

Core: 2899.5mhz
Multi: x12
FSB: 241.6mzh
Bus: 966.5
Volt: 1.66v
Idle: 24c Stock cooling
Load: 55c Stock cooling

Memory:
Freq: 241.6 (483.2)
Timings: 2.5-3-3-6
Volts: 2.7v

Video:
GPU: 418.50
Memory: 337.50

I thought I would be able to do better. I was able to play COD2 for hours w/o any problems at 3001.1 but could not get S&M to pass the memory test. Prime95 ran for hours w/o any problems both at the current OC and the 3001.1 rate.

I say who cares just play it at 3001.1

If prime is ok and your games don't crash then that would be enough to make me a happy camper :p

Thats what I was thinking. This was my firsttime to OC. I've read alot of posts that say in order to be stable, you shouldn't have any errors during testing. Other than the one memory error, everything was fine at 3001.1. So maybe I'll go back to it once my Zalman CNPS9500LED comes in. Thanks all.

here's the thing.... that one memory error may never actually occur under real-world use. you just have to ask yourself if you're willing to risk a system crash and possibly corrupted data if that memory error occurs while you're doing something.

The answer to molsen's question for me would be Helz yes!! but most OCers seem to want everything to be stable enough to take an earthquake, be thrown off a building, ****t on, and still pass all stability tests. :D

Edit: haha molson my cpu is running .05ghz faster then yours :p

I've read numerious posts on what is a "stable" system. Some say it's not stable unless it runs under Prime95 for days, some others say only after a few minutes. For me, being able to play a game for hours w/o any problems is stable for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom