Relaying 2 PSUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mRk

In Runtime
Yea, I posted a topic about using two PSUs before. My question now is how do I relay my 250W and my 350W PSUs together, that when I turn on my computer, both power supplies come on. I plan to use the 250 to power on the fans and drives.

I don't think you can, because theres only one input into the motherboard. I'm not sure however, theres probably a way you can route the wires back into themselves to make the PSU run, but then it would run 24/7.

It might work if you can give a charge to pin#14 on the ATX connector for the power supply. I cant guide you to this pin but you can easily find how on the internet. This pin should activate the power supply. But this is a theory I have and it might not work

What you need: 2 atx psu's, some wire, and space in the case (may have to remove the drive bays in the back if you have them)

Setting up your system to run dual psu's is very simple. First thing to do is make sure that both psu's work. Now locate the plugs that hook up to the motherboard on both psu's.

Link wire 15 (black) on both psu's together, line 15 is ground and to run dual psu's you need a common ground.

Link wire 14 (green) on both psu's together, line 14 is the "ps-on" line which turns the psu's on. Now your done with the master psu, the master psu is the supply that plugs into the motherboard.

Always make sure you have a load on both supplies, even just a little floppy drive will do for test.

Atx psu pin out, note that other supply's may use different wire colors.

Just make sure you have some kind of a load on the second PSU, some won't start if they don't. Personally I would go with the relay method but its so costly that i just get a bigger pcu supply
how it should be hooked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom