Rebuilding old system.........what do you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

heavywx

In Runtime
I have a old slot1 p2 266mhz machine that I'm rebuilding so that my kids can have something to play their games on, and leave my machine the hell alone lol.

Now keep in mind that this one will only be used for kids games and the internet. Nothing heavy duty like what I use my other machines for. Jumpstart and those type of games.

I'm looking into getting the intel D865gbfl mobo and a celeron 2.0 cpu. and 512 of pc2700 or pc3200 ram. I am reusing the HDD , the gforce4 4200 64mb video card and the creative labs sound card. I'll be/am running ME as an Operating system.

Any thoughts.

aside from the ME bit, it seems that you have a nice little system you can even skimp a bit more on the processor if it saves u money. I think those jump start games have fairly low recommended specs :p

Yeah I know ME sucks.

Right now I'm kinda working on limited funds. So the Celeron and ME will have to do (ME was free), But as soon as tax season rolls around and I get back the fat return. I'm planning on getting a full version of XP. I'll see how the Celeron does. If I'm not very happy I'll go with a 2.4 w/HT. If the Celeron works alright for what I will be doing with the machine then I'll just go with another gig and a half of ram.

Hey,
Yeah celeron should be fine for you. celerons are just basically the pentium 4 chips that didnt perform up to pentium 4 standards so they sell them as celeron and that should be good enough to play the games you are looking to run.

celerons are crap for gaming because they are engineered for more office like applications. p4 chips are more in depth with features for gaming. things like ht is very nice if you are doing more than 2-3 things at once. if i were you, i would save some headache and get a p4 rather a celeron.

iverson9999 are you suggesting that intel test the speed of every pentium 4 chip to see if it meets the standard, and then the ones which don't are sold as celerons??

Anyway, for your application a celeron 2Ghz will be more than enough, ME will be alright if you already have a copy (if you need to buy an OS get XP home), as long as you're not seriously gaming and messing about with the PC I'm sure it will be fine.

Other than kids games and the internet, it won't be used for anything else. The 266 p2 thats in it now actually dosen't do a bad job of running the games. It's just a bit jerky and takes the games a bit to go from one screen to the next. I just need something with a bit more processing power to make the games run smoothly. I've already put the guts in a new tower (the chieftec apollo case in black) and replaced the 4x cd-rom with a 56x cd-rom. The Chieftec Apollo is an awsome case, not to flashy, plenty of space on the inside just a good all all around case. I'll try to post a few pics when it's all said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom