Is it really impossible??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk

Baseband Member
I have an old HP Pavillion built in 1996. It was dead for a while until I got a new PSU for it, but unfortunatly the PSU I got (and I tried two different ones) won't fit inside the rather-tight case. So I thought it would just be a fun thing to do to get a new case and "transplant" the old computer into it. Got a nice new case, opened up the HP, started taking things out - and didn't get much beyond the PCI cards. I can't seem to remove the front bezel, can't seem to remove the drive cages, can't seem to get the mobo to budge - even though I've unscrewed just about ever screw and pressed in every tab in the case! I've heard of these "proprietary" designs being a little difficult to work with, but have they really made it impossible to take the computer apart?? :(

Nvm, I got the drive cage out. Just don't know about the motherboard now. *sigh*

Not impossible to take apart, but generally their motherboards aren't of standardized form meaning it won't fit into the new case.

Thanks for the replies - took some careful fanagling but I was finally able to get everything out and into the new case. Only things not working are the floppy drive and the power LED, but I can live without that for now. Great to "reincarnate" a computer. It's like a little time capsule from five years ago. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom