Is it really impossible?? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
dk
Junior Techie

Unhappy Is it really impossible??

I have an old HP Pavillion built in 1996. It was dead for a while until I got a new PSU for it, but unfortunatly the PSU I got (and I tried two different ones) won't fit inside the rather-tight case. So I thought it would just be a fun thing to do to get a new case and "transplant" the old computer into it. Got a nice new case, opened up the HP, started taking things out - and didn't get much beyond the PCI cards. I can't seem to remove the front bezel, can't seem to remove the drive cages, can't seem to get the mobo to budge - even though I've unscrewed just about ever screw and pressed in every tab in the case! I've heard of these "proprietary" designs being a little difficult to work with, but have they really made it impossible to take the computer apart??

Old 03-10-2005, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
dk
Junior Techie

Nvm, I got the drive cage out. Just don't know about the motherboard now. *sigh*

Old 03-10-2005, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Not impossible to take apart, but generally their motherboards aren't of standardized form meaning it won't fit into the new case.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Actully i had 3 differnt HP computer's, i decided to move each one into a new case, and all the motherboards fit....
Old 03-10-2005, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
dk
Junior Techie

Thanks for the replies - took some careful fanagling but I was finally able to get everything out and into the new case. Only things not working are the floppy drive and the power LED, but I can live without that for now. Great to "reincarnate" a computer. It's like a little time capsule from five years ago.
Closed Thread