Ready to start overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan_Kaizer

Daemon Poster
I just got a new motherboard that supports overclocking, and today my mom actually let me skip school :D So I figured that I'd take the time to start overclocking.

I have an E4600 M0, and a Biostar TP45HP motherboard.

ImageShack - Hosting :: specs1vp2.jpg

Those are the specs. I have 4gb of Kingston DDR2 667 ram CL5, but I don't think that will get in the way, as the E4600 has a multiplier of 12 (speedstep is on, so it says x6 on the picture). I have the stock intel HSF for now, but my temperatures are still pretty good. It's also a bit above room temperature in my room. I also have a power supply that is more than sufficient, so that isn't a limiting factor.

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 Allendale 2.4GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Ok, so with that in mind, I just have a few questions before I start.

1) What settings do I have to disable or enable in the BIOS? I have to turn of speedstep I think, but is there anything else?

2) How many MHz do I increase each time, and how often do I have to run stress tests? Which tests should I use and for how long? (I think Prime95 is one of them?)

3) What are okay temperatures for this processor?

4) Is there anything else I should turn up at first other than the speed?

5) Anything else I need to know at all?

My first goal is to get to 3 GHz (Which I would hope to do on stock voltage), and eventually once I get a new HSF, to get to 3.4 - 3.6 range, or higher if possible. For now I'm keeping it simple.

turn off everything for CPU?

since you are aiming for 3ghz with multi of 12
try 250 fsb first
you can try as high as you want until you can't boot into windows
reduce speed by 5 mhz till you can boot into windows
then stress test time
for test runs, try to stress for at least 30 minutes
and on the final OC, test longer to ensure max stability
maybe leave it on overnight?

OCCT
Orthos
Prime 95