Re: Overclocking: What voltage do I increase-BIOS pic included

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookster264

In Runtime

I am new to overclocking and began last night. I was successfully able to increase my FSB so my cpu is at about 2.4GHz, but it is starting to become unstable. I know I'm supposed to increase voltage but which one do I increase? I read I should start with memory, then chipset, then core. Is that correct? I recognize the memory and cpu voltage, but which one is the chipset voltage? see pic below. Thanks in advance!

BIOSvolt.jpg

i dont know where you read that the first thing you should do is start increasing voltage...hopefully not here....but there are several things to try with an amd before you start jacking up the voltage. certainly before you raise the memory voltage.
dude did you increase the voltage to your memory to 2.64????
that is way too high for that gskill, man. you are braver than i am running it that high, i am surprised it runs stable AT ALL, really that you havent cooked it. that ram is rather sensitive to over-voltage.
you have 1.56 to your cpu, that is plenty for that brisbane, certainly if it is only running at 2.4. you should be able to do that with stock voltage.
i run mine at 3ghz using less voltage than yours is set for in your bios.
here is the likely reason(s) it is unstable:
you're running your ht too high, if you are at 250 x 9.5, and your ht multiplier is still 5, that puts your hypertransport at 1250, which will likely be causing instability. lower it to 4, if you go much over 1000, you should put it to 3.
this is most likely the culprit, along with:
your ram may be overclocked too much. if you haven't lowered the speed in bios and still running it at ddr2 800, it may be running too high. not to mention that voltage. although if you have your cpu at 2400mhz, that is only 480mhz if your ram is set to stock. most HZ that i have seen will do that pretty easy. mine does.
it may be too hot, what are your temps? like i said, 1.56 is simply too much voltage for that small of an overclock, and the temp will begin to rise A LOT quicker once you go over about 1.5.
on that 590 board you do not need to increase the chipset voltage or the hypertransport voltage, there is no point to that. it wont help stabilize your rig at the moment. now, if you get a monster 3.2+ overclock, you need to sometimes make adjustments to those areas as well. but not right now.

My fault! Sorry Nagasama, I should have mentioned that the pic is not actual from my build but a pic from my board's website. (I couldn't get a decent photo of my screen to post) I was just using it as an example to help define the chipset voltages. No I don't think I read that here. I'mnot sure which oc walkthru I read, but it didn't sound right to me either. That is why I asked for confirmation.

I am actually just starting into overclocking and have my voltage settings at default. I have my FSB at 250 with a 9x multiplier which gives me 2.25 GHz at default Vcore 1.3v. It runs stable with Orthos going overnight. Temps never reaching past 39*C. I was able to boot at 252 and even 254 but with raising the Vcore to about 1.45, however it wasn't stable.

So, with my voltages at default, am I pushing the DIMMs too high? I think it puts them at about 950. Do I need to setup a divider to push my cpu further while keeping my memory running at a more stable speed? Or, can increasing the DIMM volts help with stablizing?

Also, you completely lost me with the HT and such.

BTW, thanks for replying. I'm kinda getting the feeling like I'm asking too many questions. So, I've been doing more reading on these forums and google searching instead. I know these forums are not my personal Q&A session, but I greatly appreciate all the feedback.

you will have a setting in bios to adjust the ht multiplier. it will be set at 5 at stock, and you should set it to 4 or even 3...just look for that number in your bios (probably in the chipset settings, or where you adjust your clock speed).
actually, if your voltages are all stock, your ram probably isnt getting enough voltage, lol...i was freaked out at that bios shot lol. if you are going to overclcok them heavily, raise the voltage to 2.1-2.2v. i run mine at 2.2 and can reach past 500mhz stable on that.
you are reaching the point (close to 1000mhz) that you will probably have to set the ram speed to ddr2 667 to keep it from going too high.
i would set it there now, or even to ddr2 533, and start overclocking your cpu....as this will remove the ram from the list of things that can be unstable. and just overclock one thing at a time. but remember, you need to set the ht multiplier down! this is very important! running your hypertransport over 1000mhz will almost always cause instability (unless you work majic with the voltage...not yet...work on getting your cpu stable).
another question...did you lower the cpu multiplier to 9? stock, a 3600 has a multiplier of 9.5.
now, i have an evga 590sli mobo, and it doesnt read the multiplier correctly. check cpu-z, it should be right.

Ok, thanks.

I will set my Ht multiplier to 3, raise my VDimm to 2.2v and ram speed to 533. My cpu multiplier is at 9 when set in [AUTO] mode. I haven't changed it yet, but was even thinking about changing it to 8. My understanding is that it will help oc the cpu further because it wont push the ram as far. Is that correct? But since you say I should lower the ram speed to 533, I probably won't need to lower my cpu multiplier.

I'll try cpu-z, but it seems everything I download isn't reading my mobo correctly. I can't get a program to read my temps right. Speedfan doesn't even have configurations for an XfX mobo.

i dont know about setting the multi to 8, that really is not neccessary. plus, you will have to raise the cpu external clock that much more to achieve the same results. ie if your htt is 250, with an 8 multi you will only be at 2ghz vs 2.25ghz with a 9 multi. i also know that with my 4200 setting the multiplier down to 10 (its stock is 11) actually overclocked the ram MORE than an 11. not sure on the 3600, as i have never needed to do it.
if it is set to auto, the multiplier is 9.5, even if your mobo says 9...mine does the same thing.
once you get the cpu stabilized you will probably be able to raise the ram to 667, depending on your overclock. you may be able to run it at 800 if you do not run the cpu as high as possible. gskill ram is pretty good.
you will not find a temp utility that reads a 3600's temp correctly. if you do, lemme know about it becasue i have yet to see one. you just need to use the bios temps, or you can look at bios, then boot and look at speedfan and see what the difference is. it won't be accurate, but it will give you a good idea of temperature.

Ok, 9.5 makes more sense. Yeah at stock in BIOS it shows 9, but when I check my computer properties it says my cpu is running at 2.37GHz. With my FSB set at 250, that means a multiplier of 9.5. That makes sense now.

I'm stable at 250 with stock v at 1.3 and was having difficulty with 252FSB. I know my cpu can be pushed faster than that, so I knew it had to be my memory holding it back. I'm new to all of this, so I'm not able to 'visualize' the effects from all the combination of settings and able to diagnose what might be causing what. So thanks for getting me back on track.

I'm in no rush to push this rig hard. I'll take your suggestions and adjust the settings on my ram and slowly work my cpu faster. Once I find that spot I can get my cpu to, I'll worry about messing with my ram.

Thanks for the guidance and answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom