raw image processing: why is my laptop kicking my desktops butt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ithedanman

Beta member
I am a wedding photographer and I process a lot of .raw images. I recently got a sony vaio laptop and thought I'd try processing some images on it. It has a slower cpu than my desktop, but turns out it takes about half the time per picture! for a 10ish mb .raw file from my 40d the desktop will do 8-9 seconds and the vaio will only take 4. Thats a lot of time when i'm doing 1200 pictures a wedding.

from what I can tell, my desktop should be faster... not twice as slow.

any suggestions or help would be VERY appreciated.

Thanks

I'd heard they were faster....

but should a 2.0 ghz w/ 3gigs ram intel be twice as fast at decoding raws as a 2.8 ghz w/ 3gigs ram amd???

it could also deal with what other background programs you're running and also how speedstep/e1st is working. It could be that when the cpu is under intense, but not 100% load on the laptop it bumps up to 2.0ghz and the desktop doesn't bump it up to the full 2.8.

When I've watched the CPU monitor on the desktop both cores will bounce off of 100%, but not stay their constantly.

When I did the timing both computers were running adobe bridge, photoshop CS3 and eset nod 32 virus scanner

looking at my hardware is there anything that I can do to my desktop to improve its performance... or should I just look into buying a new desktop w/ an intel processor?

I never would have considered AMD if I knew there was this much of a performance difference

That AMD processor is still awfully good. Honestly idk how that laptop can decode stuff that much faster than your desktop. I know an Intel is more powerful ghz for ghz, but i didn't that that much. Try the test with like 100 pictures on each pc. And see which one takes longer. Could be your desktop just hiccuped while doing just one picture.

Also if you were to go intel you would have to buy a whole new motherboard.

answer here is... core 2 duo is much more efficient than your 5600+

i dunno but if i remember correctly... decoding is one of intels cup of tea's with their large cache's

The Intel has a clear advantage, not just because its a Core2. Intel is better at that kind of thing, think of it as their home turf. Even in the Pentium 4 days, the one benchmark Intel could win was the video decoding benchmark.

The Intel has a clear advantage, not just because its a Core2. Intel is better at that kind of thing, think of it as their home turf. Even in the Pentium 4 days, the one benchmark Intel could win was the video decoding benchmark.

exactly as i said.. its intels cup of tea... i think its due to its large cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom