Rate the Wire Management Above You!

The problem with agg is you're still limited per connection and overhead. Now for a LAN using the 2Gb for me would be fine and I'd be maxed at drive speed depending on user leech amount, but with my setup I don't see that alleviating the issue. That's why I'm setup to go 10Gb. More than likely agg that for 20Gb to the core.

While that is true, I don't see me capping 3Gbps any time soon with the machines unless Win10 adds back in load balancing features instead of the SMB crap they decided to go with, the fourth link is more of a, if one link goes dead then I still have three there. Rather like how the switch and ESXi work together.

I kinda wish that 10Gbit would trickle down to consumer faster, but it seems the market is at a standstill... Can't justify a 10Gbit NIC and switch just yet.

Last edited:
While that is true, I don't see me capping 3Gbps any time soon with the machines unless Win10 adds back in load balancing features instead of the SMB crap they decided to go with, the fourth link is more of a, if one link goes dead then I still have three there. Rather like how the switch and ESXi work together.

I kinda wish that 10Gbit would trickle down to consumer faster, but it seems the market is at a standstill... Can't justify a 10Gbit NIC and switch just yet.
Well to iterate on what I was saying before except this time not intoxicated. One transfer won't see the full bandwidth over a NIC because you can't split the packets like that. It basically gives more headroom for more connections to the server from other points. Having it setup like this works decently with my setup because I'm not capped to all drives being read to one destination like with RAID. Each drive acts independently so if I have 5 people hitting my server at once and somebody streaming off Plex if they're reading data from one of the 7 drives individually they each get almost the max bandwidth. My want for 10Gb comes from wanting to transfer quickly between my machine and my SSD cache, as well as wanting my other servers to have full connection the same way so there's no inherent network bottleneck in the work flow.

So, some server boards in the less than 500 dollar range have 10Gb NICs, and I know some ASRock consumer Z270 boards have 5Gb built in which will auto negotiate with a 10Gb switch. I plan to go with the Z270 board with that which will cap a SATA SSD in theory. Should be interesting.

So remember my old computer?

Its still around but has got a face lift.

nIIddQW.jpg

SukBuuW.jpg

cwydx6d.jpg

Xenomorph is no more, it is now my fathers computer and has a new case and a new name.
LittleMissBliss

It is a Rosewill Gungnir X case, a low cost case with many great features (the dust filters are a huge bonus for the case) and is actually quite well built, I know in the past Rosewill made some bad cases but this is not one of them.
In fact with the exception of the bad rubber feet its a nice little thing.

For those who dont know my old specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H
Processor: Intel Core i5 4460
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1333 Corsair Vengeance
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 600W
And a HP optical drive

Sure its older hardware but will serve my father well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom