Rate the Wire Management Above You! - Page 238 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #2371 (permalink)
rustle rustle

Default Re: Rate the Wire Management Above You!

Or you can do the smart thing and use canned air.

If you blow dust away with your breath the moisture in your breath can damage parts, and if you use an air compressor (unless its one that takes the moisture out of the air) the moisture in the air can create static electricity when you use it to dust off electronics, and I assume all of you know that static electricity and microchips don't mix very well.

35g700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #2372 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35g700 View Post

If you blow dust away with your breath the moisture in your breath can damage parts, and if you use an air compressor (unless its one that takes the moisture out of the air) the moisture in the air can create static electricity when you use it to dust off electronics, and I assume all of you know that static electricity and microchips don't mix very well.
How is the smart thing to do using one time use cans of CO2 that cost like 3-5 bucks each?

You shouldn't be blowing dust out when the computer is running, and the amount of moisture in the air shouldn't be any worse than the humidity in some places.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
aspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #2373 (permalink)
rustle rustle

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
How is the smart thing to do using one time use cans of CO2 that cost like 3-5 bucks each?

You shouldn't be blowing dust out when the computer is running, and the amount of moisture in the air shouldn't be any worse than the humidity in some places.
$3-5 for a can of CO2 isn't much compared to the costs of an air compressor (or the electronics you can ruin by using it)

The humidity in the air can create static electricity when you blow it on things using an air compressor if their is a good amount of humidity in the air. It may not be likely to happen but I would rather spend $5 on a can of air then using an air compressor and ruining a video card and paying another $200 for one.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #2374 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:
$3-5 for a can of CO2 isn't much compared to the costs of an air compressor (or the electronics you can ruin by using it)

The humidity in the air can create static electricity when you blow it on things using an air compressor if their is a good amount of humidity in the air. It may not be likely to happen but I would rather spend $5 on a can of air then using an air compressor and ruining a video card and paying another $200 for one.
Components nowadays are much more resistant to static discharge than they used to be.

I've built systems on carpet, set components on carpet, used an air compressor countless times, and even had water spill on my video card through my blowhole while the computer was on and still survive.

Thanks!

Old 10-19-2009, 03:55 PM   #2375 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to jfenwick Send a message via MSN to jfenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gapl View Post
I just hate it when the 24-pin connector is placed right in the middle of the motherboard.

The power supply's cables look short.

I'll give it a 6/10. It's not that bad, considering what you're working with there.

I actually won't buy motherboards with that placement...just too anal on my wire management, I just can't make myself do it.
jfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #2376 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfenwick View Post
I actually won't buy motherboards with that placement...just too anal on my wire management, I just can't make myself do it.
It's so nice when they put the 24 pin horizontal to the motherboard...

Makes you wonder why it isn't industry standard...

Thanks!

Old 10-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #2377 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
I've built systems on carpet, set components on carpet, used an air compressor countless times, and even had water spill on my video card through my blowhole while the computer was on and still survive.
Same here, I've used my air compressor too many times to count on my computer. And I even drooled on my hard drive once (LOL), rinsed it with some isopropyl alcohol and it was fine.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #2378 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Quote:

Dude. Moisture in your breath damaging the components? lol, I suppose if you had a chronic dribbling problem then yes that might be an issue, but otherwise that's bs.

I had my old rig right next to my window (which I kept open a lot. THAT is something you shouldn't do). After two years I noticed the back I/O shield and tips of the ports on the mobo had started rusting. Yet everything was still running fine. So I'm not too worried about the moisture content in my breath when I'm cleaning out a PC
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #2379 (permalink)
rustle rustle

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
Dude. Moisture in your breath damaging the components? lol, I suppose if you had a chronic dribbling problem then yes that might be an issue, but otherwise that's bs.

I had my old rig right next to my window (which I kept open a lot. THAT is something you shouldn't do). After two years I noticed the back I/O shield and tips of the ports on the mobo had started rusting. Yet everything was still running fine. So I'm not too worried about the moisture content in my breath when I'm cleaning out a PC
Moisture in your breath can damage components either by static build up or the saliva that gets sprayed all over the chips. Anyways if you don't believe me it says on multiple guides on the internet not to blow on parts with your breath, along with the A+ certification book that I got last year.

However it is your choice what you want to do, if you want to risk damaging your PC that fine with me.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #2380 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to philbar71

^ while that is true, hardware these days is alot harder to break. take a look at what i did to my mobo a few months ago. it's still running.

No more overclocking for me :(

The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
philbar71 is offline   Reply With Quote