Rate the Wire Management Above You!

Yea im testing it out with different looks thats why i used cheap sheet metal thats just taped in so its not perm.

Im gonna use red plasti dip for that area of the video card but i ran out and didnt feel like making a lowes run.

The top of my psu bay needs redone but thatll be done with plexi glass once the moto saw gets here.

So... Decided to do a small upgrade on my server and swap the 9650SE-12ML for an IBM M1015 (wish I had gone with something a bit... beefier...) as I was upgrading to ESXi 6.5 and that didn't support my older SAS controller anymore... Had to rearrange a few overly long SAS8087 to SATA Breakout cables... Lost a pair of disks, but, oh well.

SANY0207_zpsfasptkdv.jpg

For those with an ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 looking for a SAS controller... Skip the IBM M1015, it's a royal bisch to get working with the board, and once configured you can't even install ESXi with out removing the card first if you're booting from an external cd drive... So many buggy things.

Last edited:
LSI 9211 8i. The fact that it corrupts drives in IR or IT mode. Old or new firmware. Only wanted it to use SAS to SATA cables as it looks nicer. It appears to work fine then **** starts freezing.

Hrm, if I am not mistaken, the 9211 and M1015 are pretty much the same controllers, surprised you are having corruption issues though. That aside, I have discovered that write operations on the M1015 sucks horribly when RAID is involved. I can't break 30MB/s average write to any Raid0 array. :(

Might opt for the M5015 soon...

Hrm, if I am not mistaken, the 9211 and M1015 are pretty much the same controllers, surprised you are having corruption issues though. That aside, I have discovered that write operations on the M1015 sucks horribly when RAID is involved. I can't break 30MB/s average write to any Raid0 array. :(

Might opt for the M5015 soon...
I think it was problematic out of the box, and I had horrible writes with the card even without RAID. Plan is to get a 16i eventually because I'll need to expand pretty soon.

Why not just get a SAS Expander? Granted, if the controller is a dud, it may be worth it going for a 16 port card. I had plans on getting an expander, but with performance being this bad under ESXi I will just have to go for something with caching abilities.

Why not just get a SAS Expander? Granted, if the controller is a dud, it may be worth it going for a 16 port card. I had plans on getting an expander, but with performance being this bad under ESXi I will just have to go for something with caching abilities.
Ideally I would want 8i/8e to have an external 4u for my NAS, but I'm heavily considering a Storinator in the future over all. I have 12 hot swap bays in my current setup and can put 4 drives in my USB 3 box. The slow write speeds and the dud card is why I ultimately decided to go with my current setup over anything else. I can currently cap a 1Gb connection file transferring with no other network activity which is also why I have 10Gb on standby. My WS board I have in the rig has 10 ports and I have 6 extra ports via PCI-E to use too. Not like it really matters in the end but I only wanted the RAID card for SAS ports to use the nice cables.

I used to max my Gbit network out with ease... Had to load balance 4x nics on my server so it wouldn't choke if there was heavy network traffic... Now in days, well... :( Off to ebay I go!?

Back
Top Bottom