RAM timings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMajor

PowerQuest / Opera
I am using M-Tec SDRAM 133. 256MB module.
My mobo has some EDO slots but I am not using them.

I am unsure about some settings in my BIOS.
How would you configure these?

1. DRAM timing = (60 or 70ns?)

2. Fast MA to RAS# Delay = (1 or 2 clocks?)

3. SDRAM (CAS lat/RAS-To-CAS) = (3/3 or 2/2?)

4. SDRAM speculative read = (enabled or disabled?)

5. Fast EDO Lead off = (Enabled or disabled?)

6. Refresh RAS# assertion = (4 or 5 clocks?)

7. Fast RAS To CAS Dealy = (2 or 3?)

8. DRAM Page Idle Timer = (2,4,6 or 8 clocks?)

9. DRAM leadoff timing = (11/7/4 or11/7/3 or 10/6/4 or 10/6/3?)

10. DRAM enhanced paging = (enabled or disabled?)

11. DRAM read burst (EDO/FP) = (x444/x444 or x333/x444 or x222/x333?)

12. DRAM write burst timing = (x444, x333 or x222?)

13. System BIOS cacheable = (enabled or disabled?)

14. Video BIOS cachable = (enabled or disabled?)

15. Video BIOS shadow copy = (enabled or disabled?)

16. Memory hole at 15M-16M = (enabled or disabled?)

I want everything to be configured a fast as possible. I want to be able to play DoomIII :D j/k

Hope somebody knows these settings! :)

TheMajor :D

Well the RAM timings really depend on...well...the RAM...if you download CPU-Z and go to the 'By SPD' Tab....it'll tell you what speeds your RAM can run at even if it's say PC3200 RAM with 3-3-3-8 timings the chart will say something like:

PC3200 - 3-3-3-8
PC2700 - 2.5-3-3-7
PC2100 - 2-3-3-7

Meaning if you take your card down to those lower speeds you can lower the Cas latency which is that first number.

Regarding the Cacheables.....bah....it escapes me at the moment, but there are a couple you really shouldn't mess with mainly the System BIOS I believe....is it default disabled? Because I think with most of that stuff you simply want to leave it at defaults.

Never heard of memory hole

Yeah I believe I read normally you want this to stay disabled and only should use it if your system is unstable or something along those lines. Sorry major I don't know enough about all the options you're showing to give you good advice besides using CPU-Z to tighten up your RAM timings.

Don't click the memory Tab..click the By SPD and then select the appropriate slot through the drop down menu, but yeah you could be correct also :D

none of the tabs shows this...too bad...

but do u have any idea about the CAS and RAS settings mentioned above? like should i set it to 2/2 or 3/3?

Well that all depends on the RAM, I can't tell you to set it to 2 if it's really a Cas 3 RAM....that's kind of like having a Value Ram stick and not sure if it is indeed value RAM or HyperX.....3 is where it should be if it's value, but if it's not it should be at 2.

I'd say

2. Fast MA to RAS# Delay = (1 or 2 clocks?) - should be at 2
3. SDRAM (CAS lat/RAS-To-CAS) = (3/3 or 2/2?) - should be 3/3
6. Refresh RAS# assertion = (4 or 5 clocks?) - should be at 5
7. Fast RAS To CAS Dealy = (2 or 3?) - should be at 3
8. DRAM Page Idle Timer = (2,4,6 or 8 clocks?) - Should be at 8

I believe that should give you basically value ram timings and if you're unsure of the RAM then that's the safest route....even if you did bump it up those extra clocks you really wouldn't see probably any performance, not noticeable by a human anyway...until you find out exactly what kind of RAM it is then I'd be weary of upping the clocks. That should put you at 3-3-3-8 2(T) timings but there's a lot of options there I'm not familiar with. Also I'd advise really to leave the defaults that are disabled that way as some of the things such as enhanced paging and that memory hole might not serve YOUR purposes well and could cause system instability...definitely something worth searching on.

memory hole if im not mistaken locks down certain addresses within your system so no memory is addressed to them... and if memory serves it is meant to allow old ISA and other devices to be installed... kinda obscure and archaic feature IMO

kinda obscure and archaic feature IMO
Yeah kinda why I suggest he just leave it disabled and put his timings slow because you'd rather have them a couple nanoseconds slower than fry it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom