Ram Timings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydzy

In Runtime
Heya,

So with all that 4-4-4-12 etc or w/e, what is all that stuff? Got no idea what any of it means, so could someone please explain in detail? Like not just, this is better than this, haha, but what it means, what it changes in the ram etc.

Thanks, just curious

Sydz

Ugh i tried explaining it then decided you'd probably be better off just checking wiki as i'd probably just confuse you along with myself trying to explain it. Short story long, the lower the latency the faster the commands get to the memory, and the higher the mhz the faster the memory can actually process the commands.

Think of the RAM as a spreadsheet, with rows and columns. And think of the timings, as the time it takes to access those rows and columns.

CAS - Column Address Select
RAS - Row Address Select

Each number represents a different function:

4.....CL - CAS Latency
4.....tRCD - The time between RAS and CAS signals
4.....tRP - The time between switching a row
12...tRAS - The time between activating and deactivating a row.

CL or Cas Latency is probably the most important part for RAM timings. It is time between it's signal and the data available for processing. So the lower the CAS, the faster it can get and receive data.

tRCD is the time between, a row being selected/activated, and the column in the row being activated, by the CAS signal. In other words, the time between RAS to CAS being accessed.

tRP is the time between accessing different rows. A row has to be activated, in order to access the information. And before the RAM can access another row, the row that was just accessed, has to be deactivated. So in order words, the time between accessing one row to another.

tRAS is the time between the memory getting the signal, to access a row.

I tried my best to explain it, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

ah kk cool, thanks, yeah makes sense.

So I presume tightening the timings on these would make the ram run a whole lot hotter? And a whole lot more void of warantee? But hey, what fun is having a computer if you don't do your best to push it past what it is made to do =P

Mine is 5-5-5-18, pc6400 A-Data ram. Can I tighten that @ all or will I get pwned. And if I can, how do I?

Oh wait... this is looking @ the "Memory" tab in CPU-Z. but under SPD it says this:

*try to imagine a wonderful table...* lol, screw it, ill just list it under each column

Frequency: 200mhz
CAS# Lat: 3.0
RAS# to CAS#: 3
RAS# Precharge: 3
Tras: 9
Trc: 12

(columns / rows continue respectively...)

266mhz

400mhz

So does that mean that if I underclock it to 200mhz it will be 3-3-3-9 or something? lol

The table kinda shows, what they're capable of running. So yes...downclocking the RAM, can get you those tighter timings. But then you're cutting the speed in half. Your RAM is really mean to run at 400MHz with 5-5-5-18 timings. Try downclocking to about 300, and tighten the timings to 4-4-4-12 or 15.

so 2gb of underclocked ram with tighter timings would be faster than their normal settings?

Not really, as downclocking 100MHz doesn't have a significant effect. I'd say, keep it at manufacturer's spec of 400MHz 5-5-5-18.

But have you tried setting it at 300-350MHz with 4-4-4-12? That would be good, if you got it to stabilize.

Wow, this ram overclocking is fairly confusing. I've got the g.skill 2gb ram, i've tighten the timings to 4-4-4-12 just to see what it would do, and I ran BioShock for about 2 hours with not glitching. So how do you tell the Mhz of your ram? I have the p35 dsr3 with the mit overclocking thing. I've got my cpu running as fast as I could possibly push it, the e6400 2.13 @ 3.48 1.59**v, so now it's time to get the ram to go as fast as i can, but i still don't quite understand it. I was going to make a thread, but his one pertains to exactly what i need so...

wow....almost 1.6V on vcore? I'd say that's a little too much. What are your load temperatures, when running Orthos? Then again, you have the Windtunnel case, which has so much airflow.

Well your RAM was meant to run with 4-4-4-12 timings. You can find out your RAM's speed by opening CPU-Z, and looking at the memory tab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom