RAM Timing Question, pic included

Status
Not open for further replies.

s37d

Banned
I have a question regarding ram timing, and what mine should be set to. The timing on my ram is 2-3-2-5, and I was wondering if I would have to set each of these values manually in bios to get the ram's 2-3-2-5 speed. I haven't done much overclocking, and I'm not even sure how to overclock ram, but I'm guessing the values in bios shown in this picture have something to do with it. http://home.comcast.net/~s37d/timing.gif

This is my bios I took a pic of, and I was wondering if these numbers shown represent my ram's timings. In other words, does the 2, 3, 2 and 5 match up with numbers in this picture, and do I have to set them to achieve desired performance. Also, would I set these numbers higher to overclock? Thanks

yes those are the right timings you need to change.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3393

scroll about 3/4 down the page to get more info on RAM timings including ones you've probably never seen before.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11397

more RAM timing info that goes into a little more detail about each.

Yes you'd set those numbers higher to overclock however if you have 2-3-2-5 timed RAM then you don't have the high performance RAM..you'll probably be able to overclock but I wouldn't expect huge numbers.

You'd want to loosen your timings to like 2.5-3-3-7 or even 3-3-3-8 with added voltage to begin to raise the RAM beyond PC3200 speeds

Hmm, I'm still a bit confused though. Do I have to set those numbers in the picture I posted to 2-3-2-5 or something, instead of the 2-4-4-8-8 that is shown in the picture. I don't really know what those numbers relate to so I wouldnt know what to change.

don't worry about that 5th number.

Your numbers are a bit out of order though...so going straight down you'd want it to read:

which is actually 2-3-2-5 timings..the Ras to cas and ras precharge are in a different order.

3 = ras to cas
2 = ras precharge

2-4-4-8 is ridiculously loose, can't believe it'd default your ram to that.

Infact you could probably change that 'configure DRAM timing by SPD' to "enabled' and it should detect it correctly, infact I'd do that before you messed with the timings yourself

Alright I changed them to defualt, and I don't notice any real difference and performance, but at least its not so loose now. I guess I'd have to run some sort of test to see if there's any real difference. One mroe question, my video card is a 128mb geforce 6600gt, should I change the graphics aperature size in my screenpic to 128mb from the 64mb that its currently on? thanks

Not really, that 128 plus the 64mb is enough for most games out, unless your playing some really high end game on max settings then up it to 128......

yea im playing world of warcraft on max settings, still gets a little jittery in intense areas with lots of ppl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom