ram questions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2004, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default ram questions

can someone tell me if there is an advantage to getting 2 sticks of ram that equal the total, or just 1 big one. Same amount of ram, just spread over 2 sticks. does it matter? It will be in a socket A board if it matters.

Old 10-25-2004, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to lev2323

To my knowledge, it really doesnt make much of a difference. Most new boards run on dual channel ram, so on those you have to use two (equal) sticks.

My Computer:
C2D E6420 2.13, FSB 1066MHz
OCZ SLI-ready 1066MHz 5-5-5-15T
eVGA NF63 motherboard
eVGA 8800GTS 640MB
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Windows XP Pro 32 bit
OCZ GameXstream 700w PSU
Old 10-25-2004, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

having 2 sticks is for dual channel, but u need a mobo and cpu capable of it. Other than taht, its useless.
My current specs:
i7 920
Biostar TPower x58
3x2GB g.skill
XFI GTX260 Black Edition
640 WD Caviar Black
Vista Home Premium x64
Old 10-25-2004, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

yeah dual channel is the only reason for having a 1gb of ram sold in both a solid stick form and a kit which is 2x512. Those packages of RAM have been specifically tested together and the manufacturer insures you it'll run in dual channel at it's stock speeds. If you buy the exact piece of RAM but over seperate occasions, even though they are the same piece you bought...they could still NOT run in dual channel because they haven't been tested together...usually only happens if you buy a 512 of value ram then next month decide to get another, but still people have made it work.

Also if you have 3 slots dual channel can sometimes be run using 3 sticks......2x256 in the first two slots...obviously those are the a matching pair...and then in the 3rd slot...also assuming you get a matching manufacturer and general latencies would be able to put in a 512 stick and be able to run Dual channel. Dimm slot 1 & 2 are channel A, dimm 3 is channel B, So if you have to of the same sticks like 2x512 then you'd want the RAM in 1 & 3 in a case like that
Closed Thread