RAM overvolting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da Viksta

Ninja Stargate Addict
Hey guys

I get the feeling that my ram doesnt have enough juice atm, since games like supreme commander keep crashing on me, but video encodes and prime95 run fine (altho a tad warm). currently my ram is at 1.8V @ 900Mhz 5-5-5-15, im using all 4 memory banks, 2 are crucial ballistix and 2 are GeIL. the GeIL dont have heatspreaders hence the reason i am running at 1.8V currently. would there be any danger in taking the ram to say 1.85 or 1.9 bearing in mind all 4 memory banks are filled and the GeIL lack heatspreaders even though the crucials dont? i dont want to downclock or release latencies unlesss i really have to....

please advise
Da Viksta

If prime95 doesn't crash your system, than it's not likely that supreme commander would if your ram was the problem. Try running memtest though, and also check the temperature on your video card, but the problem to me sounds like its software related.

well my bios decided itll have some fun at my expense when i was tinkering and mess itself up so i did a full CMOS reset and am at stock speed now entirely, and supreme commander still crashes after 5 mins of play. even though crysis wars 64-bit didnt after an hour.

Reinstall and update your video drivers as well as every other driver on your system. Also, try running your game in compatability mode, cause I doubt Supreme Commander actually likes the fact that you are running server 2008.

right i tried it all and installed forged alliance as well and it has subsided...i think it was just a bad install...

the question remaining is whether or not its safe for an extra 0.1V in my ram (im not worried about the crucial, ive had them at 2.2V before, im worried about my headspreader deficient GeIL ram)

Well mixing memory types is not recommended, I would not be surprised if you get some random instability problems...

If I remember right, the crucial sticks are supposed to be 2.1 or 2.2 for the Ballistixs... Then again, if its the regular ones I am unsure.

gurusan, i havent had a problem as of yet with my memory in any way :) i just want to overclock it slightly. and charles, my crucial have 2.2 programmed in their SPD so it wont void my warranty, just the GeIL have 1.8V programmed into the SPD...

Overclocking is where the problems are, but you may be lucky. The black dragons you can overvolt more than 1.8V....try 2.0V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom