RAM overclock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhawk13

In Runtime
Hey everyone. I just started to read into overclocking the CPU, and I understand that much. You up the FSB, or the multiplier, also upping the voltage until you have a stable system within the suggested temperature... But the ram part I don't fully understand? I've read the guide, and it talks about changing the timings of it? Sorry, I don't fully understand what it's asking from me. Any help would be nice :). Thanks!

Great Question! I have posted a similar thread, but the problem is, nobody in these forums has overclocked RAM, or even knows how to do it. A reasonable assumption as nobody has answered our clearly communicated questions regarding this topic.

Leave RAM on auto timings and do not mess with them unless you know what you are doing, otherwise you will reset your CMOS numerous times.

leje0306 said:
Great Question! I have posted a similar thread, but the problem is, nobody in these forums has overclocked RAM, or even knows how to do it. A reasonable assumption as nobody has answered our clearly communicated questions regarding this topic.

If you have upped your FSB, you have overclocked your RAM.

Your incorrect about no one on this forum has overclocked ram. If your overclocking your cpu, then sometime your also overclocking your ram(depends on the ram, divider, and fsb speeds). Blackhawk be more specific, what don't you understand about it? The section regarding ram isn't large, but what about the timings are you having difficulties with?

Heres a site with some info about timings, I don't know if it can help you or not. http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/AMD/memory/131

leje0306 said:

lol.
i run my ram between 433-500 mhz all the time.
the article sui linked is a good one.
leje, it's not that no one knows how to do it, lots of us do. but it is difficult to explain to someone if they dont know anything about how ram timing affects overclocking and vice versa. or don't know what the timings themselves are for.
i think that if you spend a little more time on the forum you will find that there are some very smart folks around that can give you good pointers.
not all of us have time to explain it from square one, though.
as sui says there are many factors that determine your ram speed. for instance if i lower my multiplier to 10 from its stock of 11 it gives me a cpu/5 divider. if i leave it at 11 i have a cpu/6 divider. so in essence, with a 10 multiplier, my cpu will run slower but my ram will run much faster. and my amd is different than an intel (note i have no fsb).
and thats just a few of the details involved. its kinda complicated until you know more of the interaction of your system.
not just, "presto chango my ram is overclocked".

gmanych said:
I got mine at about 915Mhz

What voltage? And your sig says 800. Must be like what, a 2:3 divider? I've got g.skill factory 1.8-2.0V 5-5-5-15, will going over 2.0V kill my ram? And I knew I could get someone to say something...

decibaL said:
Leave RAM on auto timings and do not mess with them unless you know what you are doing, otherwise you will reset your CMOS numerous times.

No, manually set them to factor specs don't touch anything else. And be aware of your divider, otherwise your comp. will suddenly not boot when overclocking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom