ram fsb to winnie hht bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj2003

Daemon Poster
i can get my cpu speed upto 2.6gig no problem atm. what m settings in my bios are the HTx set to 4x and my hht speed at 260. ive set my ram to 166mhz but cpuz is reading it as the 216.7 is it supposed to be like that? and where has this number came from?

now im really confused about this. my mobo supports 2000HHT i think (in sig which i have) so is that why i need to lower the HTx multiplier? I have had it running at 2.3gig with it set a 5x and my ram running the 230 fsb aswel but it wouldnt go any higher, well it would but it would hang abit and im not sure if thats the ram or the board.

Now i remember on my 2600xp chip that you should have your fsb at teh same speed as ur ram (is fsb=200 and ram=ddr400) does that still apply with the 64 chips?

as you can tell im really confused about this. can sum1 please try to explain or point me in the right direction to sumwhere than can plz.

EDIT: being playin aroud with it and got upto 2.7gig and my ram fsb is now at 225. still dont know what the collolation is though

also ive ran sandra and thats told me on this o/c my fasb is at 1080. So if i want higher i think il have to drop down to 3x HT?

"can sum1 please try to explain or point me in the right direction to sumwhere than can plz." all i would like is an explaination about how HHT, wat it does etc. and if havin my hht set to 270 and my ram only at 225 if this limits the cpu to the speed of the ram?

it's all about 1:1 dude. If the CPU has a higher HTT which back in socket A days would simply be FSB, and your RAM is running lower than it, then you have a bottleneck. Your CPU and RAM aren't communicating at the same speed.

As far as your overall system HTT of 2000 or whatever it is you have then yes when OC'ing your computer beyond 200HTT then you need to change you link speed multiplier from 5x down to 4x and if you get well beyond 250HTT then you need to go 3x so you don't go above the total 2000HTT which just causes instabilities and no performance gain

right, so it doesnt matter if i drop the HTT multipier down to 4x or 3x as long as when its multiplied out it gives a max of 2000mhz?

so i take it mine isnt running at 1:1 anymore then? does this mean i will loose performance? Ive benchmarked 3d mark 05 and only get a 30points gain of goin up 400mhz, now i know 3d mark is all about graphics card but is that rise normal?

Also is there any point dropping the normal multiplier down to 9x and setting a higher HTT ie gettin it to 300x9?

thanks for help nubius

right, so it doesnt matter if i drop the HTT multipier down to 4x or 3x as long as when its multiplied out it gives a max of 2000mhz?
Well it matter to the extent you want to make sure that as you said, when it's all multiplied the total comes as close to 2000 as you can get it.

so i take it mine isnt running at 1:1 anymore then? does this mean i will loose performance
Well as you technically aren't losing performance because your CPU is above the stock 200 HTT and so is your RAM, but your RAM is only at what like 217 you said or something like that while the CPU is up at 270...soo basically your RAM is bottlenecking your CPU and it's not optimal performance, but still both are higher than the stock 200 so thats where the extra performance boost comes.....if your RAM can't follow your CPU up that high and obviously you can't raise your multi, then you have no other choice but to raise the CPU and leave the RAM going quite slower than it.

The XMS RAM should be able to OC fairly decent, but getting to 250+ I don't think will happen with those honestly assuming that the x2 is meaning you have 2 512mb sticks for a 1gb total, because 1gb doesn't OC as high as 2x256...plus the corsair RAM isn't the best OC'ers in the world

Ive benchmarked 3d mark 05 and only get a 30points gain of goin up 400mhz, now i know 3d mark is all about graphics card but is that rise normal?
Like I said you did boost performance a tad so yeah it's normal, either way I wouldn't argue with a boost in 3dmark scores lol :p

Also is there any point dropping the normal multiplier down to 9x and setting a higher HTT ie gettin it to 300x9?
You could, but run some sandra CPU arithmatic and multimedia benches and find out if 300x9 scores higher than say 257x10.5 which would both give you 2.7GHz

Of course if you got your RAM to a 1:1 with 257 then you'd have way better performance, but assuming your RAM is equal across either 257 or 300, then like I said do those arithmatic and multimedia......I believe the AMD64's sometimes will actually score better with a higher multiplier unless of course your RAM can go up to 300 (which I know those wont)

ok thanks alot nubus thats eactly wat i was looking for. il try afew different combinations out and find out which give me the best result. really wish i had spent abit more on my ram now and got gskill at pc4400 or sumthing like that :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom