Ram Cooling Question--help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deviator

Baseband Member
I upgraded my 512mb of ram to 1,024mb(1gb) it came with a memory cooling thingy (those metal things that go over the RAM chip) and i had an extra case fan so i put it close to the ram and connected it to my mother board... will this harm my RAM or any other item in my computer, if i put a case fan close to the RAM?

No. There shouldn't be any problems with your fan blowing on the RAM. Also, RAM doesn't generate that much heat anyway.

it doesnt matter if it is a case fan i just had and i decided to lay it close to my RAM chips? i mean i didnt place it in any sort of specific place.. i just placed it so that it would blow air to my RAM

There's always a lot of controversy, that it can actually keep more heat in that what it takes out. Either way the best way to do ram cooling is to have a fan very close to it to blow the heat off. I got the little thermaltake setup that actually has the little 40mm fan I think it is, which will get rid of the heat regardless, but I do have my ram overclocked so I needed ram coolers, if you're not overclocking I'd see less than a point to have a cooler on there.

If your ram is generating a lot of heat then something is wrong with it... those ram heatsinks don't do to much anyway, they are really just for show (and for the manufacturers to profit) as said above, ram doesn't put off all that much heat, even if it is overclocked (and in my opinion overclocking ram is pointless)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom