RAM clocking question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 10:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via MSN to CntdwnToExtn
Default RAM clocking question

yes, i know about the overclocking sticky but it doesn't answer my question.

i updated my bios and i now have an "auto" mode that will change teh frequency of the ram, ex. 300, 333, 366, 400mhz without me having to change the actual 4 timings....but i do not see the the actual timings changing when i do that (it's greyed out)

i can clearly overclock (have it @ 2.25ghz from 1.8ghz) but at a certian point it will not start up, making me think i should be changing the actual timing stuff and not the auto mode it has.

[119.1439] CntdwnToExtn panic - no beer: Fridge empty!

Old 11-04-2005, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I think you are confused. Frequency and timings are two different things.

TBH, I am confused as to what your actually asking. And to refer back to the sticky, it DOES have everything you need to know about both RAM frequency's and timings.

BE HEARD - Techonvent
DS3 | E6400 - 3.2GHz 24/7 | 2GB OCZ PLat. PC6400 | 6800GT | Zippy 460W
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

I don't think raising your frequency will automatically change your timings. Don't you have to manually loosen the timings as you increase your frequency, because of the instability caused?
OCZ 1GB Platinum PC3200 Rev2 Dual Channel
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 485W
2 x 80GB SATA Maxtor Diamondmax 10 on RAID 0
Old 11-04-2005, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via MSN to CntdwnToExtn

Quote:
Originally posted by idiotec
I think you are confused. Frequency and timings are two different things.

TBH, I am confused as to what your actually asking. And to refer back to the sticky, it DOES have everything you need to know about both RAM frequency's and timings.

when i'd overclock before, my frquency went from 400mhz to an overclocked 450mhz because of the whole "increase cpu speed/increase ram speed" thing that happens.

now, i can just lower the frequency to run @ 333mhz and then overclock and it can reach back up to the 450mhz with a much larger cpu clock.

god i hate explainin' stuff on the net. hopefully that worked a bit better.

but yes, i DO know about ram timings, i was just wondering if this was a other suitable way of doing it withought having to change the timings because i've never seen it before.

my theory was

lower the frequency + bring it back up to it's original speed by overclocking = timings should be fine
[119.1439] CntdwnToExtn panic - no beer: Fridge empty!

Old 11-04-2005, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by CntdwnToExtn
when i'd overclock before, my frquency went from 400mhz to an overclocked 450mhz because of the whole "increase cpu speed/increase ram speed" thing that happens.

now, i can just lower the frequency to run @ 333mhz and then overclock and it can reach back up to the 450mhz with a much larger cpu clock.

god i hate explainin' stuff on the net. hopefully that worked a bit better.

but yes, i DO know about ram timings, i was just wondering if this was a other suitable way of doing it withought having to change the timings because i've never seen it before.

my theory was

lower the frequency + bring it back up to it's original speed by overclocking = timings should be fine
I got you now.

Yes, that is a very common thing to do. There are multiple threads here that discuss the use of using memory dividers (that is what you are doing when you lower the freq in the BIOS) to increase the CPU OC while not OC'ing the RAM as far.

So from what I read, your max RAM freq is 225 (DDR450) at stock timings, but your CPU is able to overclock to more than 225HTT. If that is the case, using the dividers to keep the RAM running slower than HTT is completely acceptable.

I will add though, that there is a good chance you could get more out of your RAM by loosening the timings a bit, so I would still look into learning more about how timings effect bandwidth and stability more so you can get the most out of your RAM.

BE HEARD - Techonvent
DS3 | E6400 - 3.2GHz 24/7 | 2GB OCZ PLat. PC6400 | 6800GT | Zippy 460W
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Closed Thread