Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

zykon

Solid State Member
Hello
I have recently built my first computer and i am hoping that some one can give me a answer to RAM configuration
I have

Corsair 512MB DDR XMS3200C2PT Platinum CAS2 and
Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2

which i will be putting on a ASUS A8V Deluxe motherboard. Will my motherboard support this configuration and which sockets should i install the RAM modules in if it does.

Specs are

AMD 64 4000
Corsair 512MB DDR XMS3200C2PT Platinum CAS2
Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2
ASUS A8V Deluxe motherboard
160gb SATA Seagate Hard Disk 7200
Dual layer DVD rewritter

Thanks for the help
Zykon

You should have no problems placing all your sticks of RAM in the motherboard as long as it supports that many slots. For all intents and purposes it appears that they are the same speed (3200), and depending on what you are going to be doing, the more RAM the better. Also note that at some point your computer only accepts a certain amount of RAM, but a Gig and a half should be ok. I would place the Gig in the first slot nearest to the processor and then the 512 after it. Good luck.

on that asus mobo for DC you need to place them in the black slots and im oretty sure its for gaming w/ a rig like that and most everybody recomends DC for gaming.

Thanks for your help. i am going to install the twin pack modules in the black slots and the single module in the blue slot and see what happens.

if his sticks are identical it will still run in dual channel with the full gig and a half of ram in there. go for it the more ram the better.

You will get double the speed instead of standard 400mhz
This is incorrect. Please make absolute sure of something like this when posting because you don't want to lead people astray.

RAM in dual channel DOES NOT give you double the speed. It still runs at 400MHz. You get anywhere from a 5%-20% increase in speed having it setup in dual channel and the reason you get that speed burst is from the motherboard, CPU, and RAM being able to communicate more efficiently...this still results in it staying at the same speed....going faster than 400MHz would be overclocking it which dual channel does not do.

If you want Dual Channel then you need a matching pair of RAM, meaning manufacturer, speed, and the amount of memory.

To achieve dual channel you'll need to find out which slots will run that configuration. Generally it's the two slots that ARE NOT colored the same, in this case meaning one black slot and one purple slot.

This is because the Black slots are Channel A and the purple is Channel B, we want DUAL channel, which means you want two different channels, not the same. So you'd want on stick in channel A (black) and one in channel B (purple)

Of course you'd need to look at the mobo manual to make absolutely sure.

im oretty sure its for gaming w/ a rig like that and most everybody recomends DC for gaming.
It's for anything...if you can run dual channel, then do it, whether you are gaming or scratching your butt and checking mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom