raise fps

Status
Not open for further replies.
how would a Ati x850XT handle oblivion compared to a nvida 6800gs running oblivion (i'm buying an sli motherboard but i'm not happy with nvida because no card with 16 pipelines is under $200)

About the 6200s...my point exaaaactly. What a waste of $$$.

But on the topic of FPS, I believe the human eye can catch an image seen for only 1/200 of a second, but that's simply notice. I agree with the 60 fps is smooth as it gets thing though, but often times 60 fps drops to like 45.

Let me just say this....a CONSISTANT fps of 40 is faaaaar greater than the up and down 30-60 randomness. FPS limiters make the game feel smoother (GTA VC , SA have it) and it keeps the game rendered at a low, yet STEADY fps. It's amazing how much better it feels. :cool:

BennyV04988 said:

Let me just say this....a CONSISTANT fps of 40 is faaaaar greater than the up and down 30-60 randomness. FPS limiters make the game feel smoother (GTA VC , SA have it) and it keeps the game rendered at a low, yet STEADY fps. It's amazing how much better it feels. :cool:
is it any different than vsync? most of the games have vsync option. somehow i always like vsync off even my CRT is at 100Hz max. it looks better vsync turned off for me.

vsync isn't related to limiting FPS. vsync synchronises the frequency of the monitor and the graphics cards output otherwise you can end up with a sort of "split screen".
But also remember that the brain only "sees" 24fps (that's why movies are filmed at that rate).
as others have pointed out that is only because they use motion blur. roughly double that frame rate is required for a perfectly smooth appearance in video games although i generally find 30-40fps acceptable. however the higher the resolution the more noticeable a low fps is.

I think anyone can see a drop in fps when it happens too, which is strange....Like when my fps go from 90 to 65, i notice it. Its strange though because 60 is smooth when its consistant....I think we as video gamers have invented a NEW science: the study of optical flicker perception. lol. We could all be doctors! haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom