RAID vs Raptor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanx for the help much appreciated.. u've convinced me to get the single raptor .. i just thort 2 80gb drives might be getting close to speed of a raptor for less money .. if i get one raptor, and i decide to get another one down the track, do i have to reload o/s to use RAID 0 with them?

I have 2 80gb hard drives in raid 0 on one comp and a raptor on the other and the 2 80gb drives are definitely the better option. I have benched them both on sandra and I have estimated the time to load games and move files around and the RAID 0 is faster.
This is why I find it the better option.
-Faster than the single raptor.
-Less money.
-A lot less noise (I can't even hear them compared to my raptor which I can hear grinding every time I'm moving a file).
-A lot more storage space.

The only way in which the RAID 0 stripe is worse than the raptor is that if one drives fails then the data is gone. But I've never had one of these western digital beauties fail on me. And big deal anyway since you have more storage than you would with the raptor, and if that fails you lose all your info there too.

that has sorta confused me now lol.. i got some sayin yeh and others sayin no to 2 80gbs in RAID 0 being faster than raptor.. but looking at ur specs dale5605, u got a 37gb raptor .. isnt the 74gb faster than 37gb?

One of my own quotes from another thread:
--------------------------------------------------------------------

"This is true sometimes but not other times man :).. Even "in theory".. When a new request comes in, you have to account for the probability of it requesting info from the HDD that is already processing stuff. Then that goes into the probability of the 1st HDD actually "doing" something at any given time.. And before u know it, when trying to setup the equations, your head will explode and you will die.

So the moral of this: trust the benchmark. lol

But, yeah. The "maximum" throughput "ever" possible is 2x the throughput of a single drive. But the theoretical throughout should be lower as it accounts for all time in probabilistic terms. :)."

Essentially, the 2x the speed is only realized "sometimes" as the coordination of the 2 HDDs is not guaranteed given the requests.. I think benchmarks are the most reliable. And they indicate the Raptor is faster than a Raid 0 setup of 7200 rpm.

Chankama said:
One of my own quotes from another thread:

"This is true sometimes but not other times man :).. Even "in theory".. When a new request comes in, you have to account for the probability of it requesting info from the HDD that is already processing stuff. Then that goes into the probability of the 1st HDD actually "doing" something at any given time.. And before u know it, when trying to setup the equations, your head will explode and you will die.

So the moral of this: trust the benchmark. lol

But, yeah. The "maximum" throughput "ever" possible is 2x the throughput of a single drive. But the theoretical throughout should be lower as it accounts for all time in probabilistic terms. :)."

Essentially, the 2x the speed is only realized "sometimes" as the coordination of the 2 HDDs is not guaranteed given the requests.. I think benchmarks are the most reliable. And they indicate the Raptor is faster than a Raid 0 setup of 7200 rpm. Personally, I would just get ONE 7200 rpm and be happy with it. lol
Where are these benchmarks?
According to my personal benchmarks on sandra 2005 (using completely different systems granted) I found my RAID 0 to be faster...

All over the net man. Just google it. For copying a large file, the Raid 0, I am sure is faster.

But for normal computer use, it doesn't seem so..

i hav seen a few benchmark graphs and figures etc. on 2x 80gb RAID 0 vs Raptor and some suggest the Raptor is beta and others suggest 2 80gbs are beta .. but i no for sure that 2x raptor hav2 b beta than all of em :D .. so i think ill get one and then later on get another and put em in RAID 0 or somethin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom