RAID Controller vs BIOS RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antec-User

Papa Chester
I've asked this before (a WHILE AGO!) went to bump it back up and it said it was closed.. I never got an answer and I'm still curious..

RAID has proven to be a pain to setup and god knows why Windows (Pre-WIN7) is still stuck on the Floppy drives. Most of the time I go to setup a RAID config, windows doesn't see the drivers on the floppy. Would it be easier to use a PCI RAID Controller card? -And yes, I've seen the controller cards are quite expensive.

Or am I just missing something??

Problem that i have with some motherboard RAID is i f some thing else go wrong with the motherboard, re-install windows again unless you can find the exact same RAID chipset on the new motherboard.
At least with a RAID card, you can migrate them.

The other thing that I don't like abour onboard RAID is monitoring software. All the ones i have seen has been BIOS or Firmware based. Unlike the adaptec software which will monitor and report as you are using your PC. Like my Adaptec 1220SE will rebuild or verify my RAID while still allowing me to access it.

As for the RAID cards being expesive, what are you trying to do with it?

I find onboard RAIDs quite satisfactory for your everyday useage. So long as you go with a good mobo manufacturer with good driver support you shouldn't have a problem. USB floppy drives cost **** all these days so that part isn't a problem either.

In fact, out of the two options, I'd go with the onboard RAID about 9 times outta 10, even at work. The only time I'd get a card would be if the mobo was especially crappy or if I needed a particular kind of RAID that it didn't offer.

On-board Raid is great if you are planning on going with a Raid-0 or 1 setup. If you choose to do something like Raid-5 you will find that it is less effective than going with a standalone Raid card.

As for the RAID cards being expesive, what are you trying to do with it?

I don't know how to pick a RAID card, other than the number of available ports. But I was just looking for an effective RAID 0 capable card. Like I said, every time I have attempted to install the RAID drivers from a parallel floppy, none of the drivers show up when I am in the setup/install screen fro Vista. -I gotta get Win7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom