Raid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I know damn well for a fact now that it's not ATA133 so I'm going to assume it's ATA100 being that it's only getting an Average read of 23mb/sec which really sucks, and when that graph hits 13gb man, there's a HUGE spike that drops down...

this 20gigger is older than my 80gb though because the 80gb like I said had an average read of 49mb/sec and it hasn't been defragged which an analysis says it needs to be so I'm sure it'd get a little bit faster if I defragged, but yeah...I already looked and bookmarked a maxtor ATA133, 8mb Buffer, 7200RPM 80gb HD, I'd really rather have Western Digital, but I couldn't find WD with ATA133 =/ only ATA100 so that kind of sucks....never used maxtor before, I hate switching :p

My 7200 10GB Maxtor rocks :p

As long as your drive only reaches 23MB/s the UDMA133 transfer mode only gives you a slight performance increase compared to 100. Only the burst speeds will go up drastically (as you noticed in HD Tach)

yeah that's why I plan on getting that 80gb maxtor I was telling you about, I know it'll support the faster speeds and should have a sustained read of atleast 50mb/sec

i went to fry's electronics and got my WD 80GB for $90 (one day sale...got lucky lol). I'm pretty happy with it, wish i had a 20GB and a 60GB though...could run RAID and you said it would load windows faster on a smaller drive dedicated for it. At least i got rid of those ugly rounded cables in there wit the SATA adapter:) looks a lil' cleaner

the maxtor 80gb drive I'm looking at is $72, but of course a place like fry's will be more expensive. My setup isn't really cleaner since I have a second drive so that cable remains in there WITH that sata adapter and whatnot, and post speeds take a little bit longer, so is it really worth the burst speed boost?

Nubius said:
the maxtor 80gb drive I'm looking at is $72, but of course a place like fry's will be more expensive. My setup isn't really cleaner since I have a second drive so that cable remains in there WITH that sata adapter and whatnot, and post speeds take a little bit longer, so is it really worth the burst speed boost?

if it takes longer than i guess it isn't:( what UDMA mode are you running right now?

I'm looking for regular IDE 80-pin cables...alll mine were given away and i only got 40-pin ones:( rounded cables are a pain to hide and they don't bend at all. tis' for cd-rom drive. where the F did i put them? i had like 30 of them i swear lol.

I have no idea what UDMA mode it's running in. I don't even know where to change it and all that

WinXP allows your drives by default to run at their max speed, and as long as your IDE channels transfer speeds in the BIOS are set to auto there are a few things wich can limit the transfer mode. The IDE controller can be too slow or an ATAPI device can be blocking the HD, or you are using a 40conductor cable instead of 80. Make sure your HD is connected to the end of the cable when using 80wires and to the middle connector when using 40wired cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom