Qx9770 45nm VS QX6850 65nm

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthTools

Hardware/VB.net/Anti-vir
Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX6850 - SLAFN

VS

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 Yorkfield 3.2GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 136W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Which would overclock to a overall higher state, keeping in mind that the QX9770 wouldn't be able to top 1.4V and I hear that 1.5V is the highest for the QX6850...

QX9770 = 0.85-1.3625V 3.2GHz
QX6850 = 0.85-1.5V 3.0GHz

Would this be a situation in which the 65nm would smoke the 45nm as far as overclocking as high as 5GHz? Because I know that the QX9770 can't go above 1.4V or it's likely to fry the chip. I wonder if the 65nm is the same way with 1.5V as the 45nm is at 1.4V and even though I have never actually done an overclock this high I am beginning to doubt i'll get it over 1.5v anyhow.. It seems like a ton of voltage... And if I kept the QX9700 I wonder how far getting it to 1.4V would take me as far as CPU MHz goes.

Temps also seem to be a big issue.. Lets say I overclocked the QX6850 to 4GHz which made it pretty hot.. And lets say that when I overclock the QX9770 to 4GHz it is perfectly cool, But when I start to increase the voltages the QX6850 could go no higher than 4.5GHz because of heat only and the QX9770 could go no higher than 4.5GHz only because of voltages above 1.4V would damage it.(But it still could go higher) Is this very similar to what I am looking at? (This is just an example I made up.. I have no earthly clue how far these processors will go)

QX9770 Thermal Specification: 55.5°C - 131.9°F
QX6850 Thermal Specification: 64.5°C - 148.1°F

I wonder what "Core Stepping" means... because the QX9770 is "C1" and the QX6850 is "G0"

After research I really see a big deal with the 45nm chips and voltages above 1.4V

I found I can change any parts within 1 month of recieving them.. I recieved the QX9770 3 days ago... so, any suggestions?

HAS to be a Quad-Core.. it's in my project description approved by the board...and with EVGA and Intel.

I chose the QX6850 from browsing neweggs list and seeing as that was basically the only Quad-Core 65nm.

Originally my goal was to get to 5GHz.. now i may lower that to like 4.5GHz but nevertheless.. 5GHz is a challenge I kind of want to beat...

Some parts:
Motherboard 790iFTW with a 750W power supply.
GPU: GTX280FTW
RAM: OCZ Reapers
300GB 10,000Rpm Hard Drive
Water cooling(Petra)

loads of people run their 45nm above 1.4, 'specially if they have water. watch your VTT, thats what will kill it.
C1 is a good stepping, not (supposedly) as good as an E0, but i have a C1 and it is golden.

lol...yeah thats what they say...
i dont have to run mine even close to 1.3 for my overclock, so i have never even brushed that high.
1.45 vcore wont hurt it. but, if it DOES....its your money not mine lol...ie attempt at your own risk... 1.45+ on the VTT will kill it sure as **** over time.

Ok dude, and this is a project that is not being funded by me.. partly cause I am poor, lol but anyhow.. you sound like you know what you are talking about.

I don't know much about overclocking.. I have been browsing websites like this one: Howto: Overclock C2q (quads) And C2d (duals) - A Guide V1.7 - OverclockersClub Forums
trying to learn all of the symbols and what they mean.

I have an old multiplier locked AMD chip that I overclocked via the FSB and pencil trick to change the multiplier just a small overclock from 2.2GHz to 3GHz cooling and everything stock on my store-bought PC before I knew how to build one.

What exactly is the VTT?

VTT – Reference voltage (might be called FSB Termination voltage in your board). It's used to terminate data lines between the MCH and CPU.

How high would you know how to set it?

i think thats pretty awesome that you OC'd a chip before you knew how to put a PC together....
yes, the VTT is the frontside bus termination voltage.
right now i have mine at 1.22V
how do you know?
time, my man...lots of time. you tweak and tweak and tweak and eventually you will find out what gives you a higher clock and what crashes and what does absolutely nothing. this is my forst intel rig, BTW...i learned a lot here and did A LOT of research on my own.
as far as how high.....below 1.45V for sure :p
you would start at stock and increase one voltage at a time till it stabilizes, then go back and lower all others before to see if they were really required, or if it was only the last one you needed. to do it right is a time-consuming process. frustrating at times, but fun too...if you're into that ****.

Haha.. I think it will be fun :)

I used to be a total software person.. until one day... I decided I needed to leave my POS(piece of sh..) computer behind and build a new one. Then I became so freakin interested in hardware.. lol
I still haven't built the new one.. It's been about a year of learning about hardware and how to install it, awaiting the day when I will finally be able to compile a rig of my own. Thank goodness I finally have come to the point at which I can begin to build my new system.

I think a better question is if your mobo can handle that, the nvidia boards aren't exactly reliable in overclocking. Many have been fried.

It would be smarter to get a Biostar I45, it has the OC world record. A proven platform and it is a lot cheaper.

But to the processor. You wont kill it, but when you get those high voltages you are certain to shorten its life. The higher over spec the more damage it will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom