Quiet & Cool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazer_viking

In Runtime
NO, I do not use quiet and cool... but it seems like it's enabled anyway!!! Whenever my processor reaches 50c (not often... only when I'm running in-place large FTTs in prime95 on both cores simulantiously and even then its rare), my voltage goes down .2v, and my processor's speed goes down to 1.3GHz something. A high pitched noise comes from my box too. What would be causing this? I just went and checked and quiet and cool is disabled.

I'm running a 4800+ (2856 Mhz) with 1.7v on watercooling
It idles at 28c.

Any suggestions? It's hard to continue my overclock if the computer is throttling itself at 50c.

manualy turn up voltage and if it dosent work than you might mave a mobo heat issue. your getting heat somewhere.

Check the beep/shutdown temps in BIOS. The high-pitched noise is the temperature alarm saying, "Hey, your computer's too hot!"

Asus cool/quiet

why would you not use your cool and quiet? Do you have other means of cooling that is better? let me know, I'am interested in maybe doing this as well.

I don't use cool n quiet because it throttles voltage and processor speed. im using watercooling, and yes it is much better than a heatsink and fan.

my shutdown temp is 60c. I don't have a "beep" temp. the only thing that I cant think of that beeps is MBM5. this high pitched noise i hear isn't a beep, its a perpetual high pitched screech that doesnt stop until i turn off the computer and reboot. the only thing I can relate it to is like a train locking up its wheels on the track (yes, ive even seen that before).

its bugging the **** <<<<(i said h3ll here, not sh!t) out of me... afaik AMD's site says my CPU can get to 65c. I'd like to keep it under 50, which I do, but while im stress testing it sometimes gets that high. it takes a couple of hours for it to hit that though. in real life applications, the CPU rarley hits 45c (INCLUDING everquest2, which is the most stressing game I know). another thing that is getting hot im my computer is the PWMIC. it can get up to 80c sometimes. i read on DFI's forum though that PWMIC is good all the way up to 120c.

why would you not use your cool and quiet? Do you have other means of cooling that is better? let me know, I'am interested in maybe doing this as well.

Cool n' Quiet is an AMD technology not Asus. cool n' quiet should NOT be used while overclocking, it can make an overclock unstable and just throws in another variable to make things difficult when troubleshooting.

as far as i can tell from your description this is not Cool n' Quiet, it is thermal throttling and is intended to prevent damage to your processor. sure you could turn it off to get some "stability", however it may cost you a new processor ;)

It's hard to continue my overclock if the computer is throttling itself at 50c.
You're done overclocking your core dude, 1.7vcore is about as high as your memory controller will want your voltage going before it'll start dying on you, and that said, 1.7vcore is not a happy long lasting core at all, not even factoring in the temperature issues

PWMIC at 80C isn't a good idea either considering it doesn't have any sort of active or even passive cooling so it'll just keep going up and up. I assume your chipset isn't in much better shape

Idle temperatures mean complete jack, you always want to look at load temperatures

well I learned a bit today. I posted a new topic earlier on cool and quiet. Seems I was confused as to the refernce to the Asus Cool pipe system on the Northbridge. I wont take up space on this guys topice, so if you guys could, check out my post on Asus mobo pls. I'd like advice on the issue.

Yea I guess you're right.... I'll tone it down to 1.6v and get my highest clock i can get from that. thanks for the reality check >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom